Newbie needs help - grit on this job

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:50 pm
Hi everyone! Just joined the group and I'm excited to be able to interact with other Autobody techs. I am new to the labor part of the biz so being the overthinker that I am, I always try to get the most info and opinions on certain areas so I can compile a good amount of info so I can do the best job I can. I'm working on sanding down a panel that has about 3 different paint jobs on it. Here is a pic of the panel for reference. What is recommended to cut it down so it doesn't have the waves of the different layers? Thanks in advance!!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:20 am
You will need to strip it all the way to the metal if you want to do it right.
For vehicles with multiple paint jobs I tend to strip with a heat gun (not a hair dryer) and a razor blade.

Sanding off multiple layers of paint and filler can take a long time.
The idea is to heat the paint until it starts to soften and then work the razor blade under the paint until it reaches the metal. While keeping the heat gun pointed just in front of the scraper you can strip the paint off in 4-6" lengths that can be cleaned up with a shop vac.

Here's the scraper:
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-1103 ... 48DR9RWMFR

Here's the heat gun:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Porter-Cable ... 3=&veh=sem

Once it is stripped you will need to go over the whole thing with 80 grit on a DA.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:29 am
Another option is Aircraft Paint Stripper.
You can get it at most Walmart and Auto parts stores. Brush it on, let it sit and scrape it off. Very messy, requires gloves and eye protection but it does work very well, especially in the nooks and crevices where you cannot sand.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:32 pm
Thank you for the comments!! Definitely good suggestions. I didnt see the post in time and did it the long way lol lots and lots of sanding. The panels werent that bad... turned out the paint was super thin :rolleyes: Now its blocking time!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:09 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:it does work very well, especially in the nooks and crevices where you cannot sand.

And that can be a problem in the future when you have applied your new paint.

I try to avoid strippers in tight areas and prefer light sand blasting.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:24 pm
I use paint stripper a lot, if neutralized properly its not a problem. as for getting the stripper in a pinch weld or something like it, I some times use a small pressure washer. but most of the time a garden hose will clean it out, water is the neutralizer.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint