Finishing drilled holes in pickup box floor

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:02 am
Just joined; this looks like a wonderful forum!

I have a few automotive restoration projects that could benefit from the advice on this forum, but for now I am seeking help with an issue on my new daily driver, a 2016 Chevy Silverado.

A few weeks ago, I had a B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch installed in the truck. The installation involved drilling a single 4" hole in the bed floor to accommodate a removable hitch ball attached to a frame mounted hitch structure. Additionally, four 1/2" holes are drilled through the bed floor to accommodate safety chain attachments. These attachments, like the hitch ball, "float" inside the holes drilled in the pickup box floor; they are secured only to the truck chassis under the bed.

My question concerns how to best rustproof these five drilled holes. At first glance, it would seem that a simple shot of primer/paint would be adequate to treat the raw edge of the drilled sheet metal. However, my truck has a factory installed spray-in bed liner much like Line-X (actually, Ultimate Linings is GM's supplier). I am concerned about how to deal with the interface between the bed liner material and the sheet metal underneath. Would paint sufficiently adhere to both materials to serve as a barrier to moisture which would accelerate rust? Or would the bed liner material cause the paint to flake off of itself and the adjacent metal? Should I apply something else, like Herculiner (hoping it will adhere to the original GM/Ultimate liner material), or undercoating? I have no idea on the compatibility of different spray-on bed liner materials.

Any suggestions? I might have to remove the hitch structure under the bed floor to gain needed "best" access to the holes from underneath as well as above, but I am willing to do this for the best results.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:11 pm
I would think the Hurculiner would work if after you had sufficient room for the bolts. then you could always put on a couple coats of epoxy that would work. they didn't have aluminum beds in 16.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:01 am
Jay, thank you for the response! I probably will give the Herculiner a try with regard to sealing the raw metal edges. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a little!

Ken

Return to Body and Paint