If you clear coat is hazy from prep work can you respray.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:16 pm
If you clear coat is hazy either because you scuffled it as part of a base coat touch-up job or you sand it down because the clear coat is damage. Will then re-spraying clear coat remove the haziness?

I am concern because 1500 or even 2000 grid sand paper will leave a hazy finish on clear coat. I was told on base coat 600 grid sand paper prep work is good enough before applying clear coat finish.

I was also told that the simple way to tell if the haziness or scuffle marks will go away is simply spray some water or grease or wax remover over the part. And that is what it will look like if you respray clear coat. Is this a good test to see if the haziness or scuffled will go away after respraying clear coat?

thanks

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:47 am
How many coats of clear over the base? Why not buff the clear if I understand your question.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:03 am
If your clear coat is "hazy" from being sanded, then applying more clear on top will fix it. Your post seems to imply that you sanded your base coat, which is a mistake. If your clear coat is hazy due to some other issue then applying more on top of it will not fix it.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:18 am
yes the wax and grease is a good test. it will show you what it will look like if you clear it
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:03 am
I was told on base coat 600 grid sand paper prep work is good enough before applying clear coat finish.

Are you saying you sanded the base coat with 600 before applying the clear?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:12 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
I was told on base coat 600 grid sand paper prep work is good enough before applying clear coat finish.

Are you saying you sanded the base coat with 600 before applying the clear?

My project is that I am doing some touch-up painting on my wheel (not the entire wheel). So my procedure is as follows

1. scuff up the clear coat around a section where I am going to base coat.
2. Base coat. wet sand the area where I base coat and some of the clear coat around the base coat (with 600 grid). Then clear coat the entire area where I base coat.

What I notice is that the clear coat in the area where I scuffed and sanded is hazy (I used 600grid sand paper and scuff pad). I want to make sure that it will be gone if I clear coat the thing.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:26 pm
So is this a rattle can job?
Are you using 2k automotive products?

Where did you get your steps for repairing this from? You don't sand base coat unless your are planning to spray more base coat prior to the clear.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint