Tamco 2104 orange peel

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:23 am
i would like to point out to all the above posts... if you are going to play with adding reducer and such things you should invest in a viscosity cup. you should not just go adding reducer to thin out paint especially for some of the DIY guys in garages. if your clear is on the colder side it will make it thick and adding reducer to thin it out will cause you problems. if your clear has been setting in 90 degree heat for awhile you wont need to add 10% or whatever amount the TDS calls for because your clear will already be less vicious because the warmth. maybe a little less will work. so my advice to everyone throwing advice out there to add reducer would be to do your homework first and check viscosity levels or temps on your product.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:37 am
I don't think anyone was suggesting adding more reducer and I hope it didn't sound that way.
Some of the Tamco Clears suggest a percentage of reducer be added when mixing. I believe the recommendations were to replace that percentage of reducer (or part of it) with a slower one.

I agree that over reducing clear is never a good idea. I try to shoot it straight myself, even the high solids clears which I prefer using.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:04 pm
He's used to shooting Standox products. He did agree this was a high solids clear but a tad thinner than the Standox. It's his first time shooting it and the orange peel is nothing I can't cut and buff. We just wondered if there was any "formula" for most folks using this stuff. I know he has no intention of reducing this stuff so no worries there.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:24 pm
I usually read more on the forums than post, information is always helpful.. but I am a long time user of Standox. I tried this tamco clear, why not? the reviews I read caught my interest.
I called tamco, they said it was comparable to standox.. (not so) but I had the same issues as stated in this post, trying to get the orange peel down to minimal (to what I am use too) was just not satisfactory to me.. thats ok, I wanted to try it for myself.. but I guess if your happy with the results you have with the brand your are using, just stick to it.. unless you want to try it for yourself and give your opinion.. by the way the Tamco company has great customer service...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:30 pm
as a painter you should learn to adjust to the different clear.

solids content will make a big difference when using other clears.

orange peel and things alike are painter error not the fault of a paint company
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:54 pm
Not saying that. He's making adjustments and it is getting better. I'm sure if I wasn't his first time use of this product he'd have it ironed out by now. So far all he's shot is the small parts with all the weird angles on my car. Stuff like the lower valance, rear endura bumper, bullet mirrors, etc. The deck lid was the only flat part and it turned out pretty darned nice. So he's getting it ironed out.

Like anything different, there's a learning curve.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:57 am

I thought I'd follow this up. He upped the pressure and the results were much better. He still had a curtain on that header panel and one wheel flair that ran pretty badly but that was gun speed. He told me once he got the speed right it was going down very smoothly.

Appreciate the help here.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint