Door skin glue/foam showing in metal

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:53 pm
DarrelK wrote:Hey, NightTrain, was that the black El Camino on Gas Monkey? When I saw that I immediately thought about this thread......man this world just keeps getting smaller.....

Yep Darrel, that's the one. I watch those car shows for entertainment but
sometimes there's a good tip or two in them.
syncrodriver wrote:........Had a very respected pdr guy come and he said im ocd that it may thought to get it better then it is already...........

I have a black Ford Ranger that has a couple small defects like that from the factory,
stuff that the car buying public wouldn't notice. Also had a black 78 Bronco with
spot-welds showing through the hood and a crease on the fender and other warps
where it was welded together. It too was acceptable for that era's buying public.
The point is nothings perfect, and you just have to get it good enough to satisfy
yourself and the vehicle's purpose (as a driver, showcar, etc.). I'm sure yours will
look much better than what VW produced in 1987...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:49 pm
Well I gave it one more go. I gave the panel a skim with topcoat and then guide coated and blocked with 80/180 very carefully with a 15" flat piece of wood with no pressure. I had the door hanging on a stand for blocking so that I would not have any downward pressure on the skin. Looks and feels good after a few coats of filler primer. When the primer was wet it looked straight and even the reflections look good no waves.

I have to do my final blocking on the panel with 320 but I am curious if I should use one of my long soft sanders which will hold its curved shape or stick to a hard flat block. Im worried the hard block will start cutting spots in the primer again but the soft block may stick to the shape better. With that being said the other five times I did this door I finished blocking with a hard block 320 grit and had the glue dents after the final blocking. What do you guys recommend hard or soft block on final primer shaping?

Previous

Return to Body and Paint