paint thoughts

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Has anyone had any experience with Sherwin Williams Dimension line of paints ? What do you think of it ? Any comments good or bad .

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:51 pm
it works pretty good.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:37 am
I have some experience with SW painting small stuff. Dimension is SW mid grade paint, 6000 is their high end stuff. Dimension is a lot less expensive. But it is not available for all colors and does not cover as well as 6000.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:19 am
Thanks for info guys . I am doing a mustang and am using atomic orange for a 2007 Vette color and looking at the paint codes the only ones that it shows is SW and PPG . I got some Omni plus but it just doesn't look right it almost looks too brown so I picked up a sample spray from SW and will try soon . Thanks again for the replies .

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:50 am
I suggest you stay away from the lower lines like Omni which is the bargain brand for PPG and Limco which is the bargain brand for BASF.
Get a better grade of paint and it will cover with fewer coats, will be easier to apply and give you a finished job with the look you desire.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:41 am
Here is the deal, the cheaper lines are cheaper for a reason. When you get into the "HIGHER END" colors like atomic orange, you aren't going to get the results you are truly looking for from the omni, shopline, limco lines.....

It is what it is... I normally don't chime in on these kinds of posts because you will always get some guys that say different, but I've shot most of the brands from cheap to expensive and I can tell you there is a difference. My latest experience with shopline basecoat was a complete joke, and actually ended up costing the customer more money in the long run. Took 5 coats of base to achieve what you could do in DBC with 2-3.

He supplied the base so I sucked it up and went with it. I tried explaining it to him, but somethings you just can explain, you just have to prove.

Actually I take that back, my latest was Nason... solid red(Ford EP)..... Holy **** the coverage was probably the worst I have ever experienced.

But again, you will get guys who swear by the cheaper stuff, and good for them. Just don't be surprised if the results you are expecting(from others advice) aren't the once you get.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:38 am
i think what matters most is what clear you put on top of it.

if you dont use something good it wont last i dont care whos basecoat you use.

a lot of times basecoats are not different at all the toners come from the same bank a lot of times. same pearls same resins etc. the reason theyre cheaper is because theyre not marketed. thats what you pay for is marketing. i am very good friends with regional, national, and international paint reps from most big paint manufactures and they repackage a lot of stuff like clears in cheaper labels to sell the product at a cheaper cost. will they tell you that ? probably not because it is not good for business. do they do it? yes they do.

if Deminsion is in your budget it should work fine. if you make sound repairs and apply everything properly you should be happy with the outcome

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:41 pm
I would imagine that most of us wouldn't be able to tell whether the pigments, pearls, and resins used are the same or not. Pros who paint for a living maybe but us home hobbyists not so much.
Personally, I have used the low end stuff and found it not to cover near as well as the mid to high end products.
I had a batch of Omni mixed so I could check a color match and it took four coats before it even started to cover. Had the same color mixed in ProSpray and it covered in 2 coats. So to me there is a difference in quality.
I can't help but think there must be more differences than just marketing. They have to be cutting costs of production in some way. I mean we are talking hundreds of dollars difference between Limco and RM Diamont and I know for experience they spray and cover entirely different.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:25 pm
yeah buddy there are differences and i said "SOME" not all are re labeled

omni im not sure. i am aware of only valspar and debeer repackaging.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Return to Body and Paint