Preparing for 2 car resprays (First timer)

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:17 pm
Ok last couple months i've been doing months of research, This is where i'm at. I'm respraying 2 Toyota supras, I'm just about to fork out to buy quiet alot of equipment to do this job.

I've got a method in mind i'm going to do but just want some confirmation from up to date replies alot of info i've read is few years old, One of my supra has quiet ALOT of hail damage i'm talking 20 or so dints on the hood alone, I'm taking that right back to metal with a DA sander with a flexible backing pad i'm half done. It's got so many dints so thought might aswell take it right back.

This is how i plan to do it, So back to metal, Wash off with soap followed by deoxidine & Wax and grease remover. Using Epoxy 421 to seal the metal 2 coats, Followed by 3m Plat bog to fill in the hundreds of dints lol, Then sand the bog flat and the bog area or maybe another light coat of epoxy all round, Once straight 2-3 Coats of High build primer then my base/clear to finish it off. Guide coats will be used in the epoxy/bogging stage to get it straight.

Now my questions, I question is the paint i'm about to purchase good?
Going to buy a Devilbiss GTI Pro for my base 1.3/1.4, Cheaper gun for Primer/Epoxy 1.8 & 1.5, Got a good compressor going to get new hoses, Water traps etc.
Now the epoxy is $275 AUD for 6L total http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121822309950 RustBuster from the UK, Anyone used it? Then for the high build primer same brand Rustbuster Epoxy Mastic 121 which is apparently used as a high build primer and underchassis and is very good stuff http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111831323036
Also Purchasing Durablock 6 peice sanding kit? That seems the best i can find, Mainly just wanting to know what epoxy/high build primer to go this stuff seems good i've posted but that's alot of money nearly $600 AUD for both products 12L total

I've read a few differnt ways to prep/do a car, Some people seal epoxy over the high build primer before the base for extra protection etc so i just want just confidenece in what i'm doing my method will come out good, I have belief in myself hopefully i get a good result.

Like i said First timer here, But i've done tones of research, Going to do the Prep work at my home the epoxy/high build primer wear a a2 filter mask for the epoxy's etc, But then i'll be hiring out a booth for pretty cheap to do the base coats as i don't want to do that outside, Will i be fine doing epoxy outside or should i really do that inside so contimants don't get onto the metal? Would i be okay if i literally wipe it done gave it time to dry then hit it with epoxy outside asap? I don't have anywhere to spray the epoxy unless i go hire out a booth but i can't drive a car in metal regardless without something bad going wrong.

Just wana hear thoughts, I've got no one to talk to, I'm literally just reading as much as i can, About to prep and paint two cars, I'm pretty much building these 2 cars from scratch no guidence i'm not doing to bad, Once the paint work is done i can concerete on the engine work.

Thanks in advance to whom reads this, I apologize if everything's all over the place i 'm disgoined with dyslexia, No matter how many times i re-write it people still seem to have problem reading it, Sorry in advance. :allgood: :bighug:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:24 am
I am not familiar with the products you are asking about.
Have you looked into the Tamco Products offered here on the Store Front. On the top right of the page is a Contact button and you will need to see about overseas shipping.

Also ********** http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/ makes great primers and clears for less money than what you are looking at now on eBay. I know they ship overseas but you will need to contract them.

To me it is better to use products that have a track record of good performance than to take chances on unknowns. A lot of time, work and money goes into painting cars and you don't want to waste any.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:18 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I am not familiar with the products you are asking about.
Have you looked into the Tamco Products offered here on the Store Front. On the top right of the page is a Contact button and you will need to see about overseas shipping.

Also ********** http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/ makes great primers and clears for less money than what you are looking at now on eBay. I know they ship overseas but you will need to contract them.

To me it is better to use products that have a track record of good performance than to take chances on unknowns. A lot of time, work and money goes into painting cars and you don't want to waste any.

That's very true they are located in UK, They seem like there out there but not like the compaines you are mentioning.

i have heard ********** mentioned ALOT and to be honest i'm tempted to go with them they seem to have alot of people backing them, Like you said mate i'm stripping the cars right back and doing this propely i shouldn't risk it. The problem being is shipping, I might contact them for Epoxy & High build primer, I'm doing 2 cars how much do you think i would get away with? I was going to grab 6L of Epoxy & Primer for my two cars (Supra mkiv) There medium sized, nothing to big.

I didn't want to make another thread, So i'll ask a few questions here, I'm not skimping out on this project i've brought everything for the task, Only problem is the only real place to paint it in epoxy & primer is my back yard, Would that be okay? I could do it outside my garage and tape of a area with plastic sheets? Once i have the car in primer i'll feel confident driving it to a spray booth for a base coat, Don't want to risk driving the car around in metal so i want to do the Prep work all at home, Is this a problem? I'm going to be using good bog, Getting couple L of wax and grease remover etc, I'm reading alot of infomation i want to do this right. All the help is highly appercaited.

Another question what type of mask for spray painting epoxies, So far i'm at 3m half mask 6000 or something, I can't find any info speficing what filters for epoxy 2pack containting isocyanates, 3m themself say use airfed with epoxies/2pak.

I'm looking at buying the mask ASAP so any info that would be great! I'm nearly ready to start spraying the epoxy. :allgood:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:09 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I am not familiar with the products you are asking about.

real good advice above, to add I've used ********** epoxy, hi-build primers , and clears and really like them. I'm sure the Tamco products are just as good. I would defiantly contact them about shipping and compare with what your going to get from eBay. I've dealt with hail damage reluctantly a few times, not as easy as it sounds. also sounds like your buying more than you might need, 6l of ********** is going to be about 2 gal. ready to spray that's a lot for 2 small cars it just depends on how you use it. same with **********'S hi-build primer it gos a long way
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:18 pm
The products recommended by the guys above are, I'm sure, very good, but the problem is that they're in the US and not sold here in Australia. The cost of transport of dangerous goods from there to here would be horrendous.

Pick up your Yellow Pages and find an automotive paint distributor somewhere near you that sells Axalta (used to be Dupont) products.

Talk to them about your needs.

As a starting point, for primer, the Duxone HS Primer Filler is excellent. Approved for DTM (down to metal) use, easy to spray and easy to sand. So, no need for an epoxy but...

If you really want to start with an epoxy for extra protection then get the Cromax 840R.

You'll find that the prices aren't much different to what's on Ebay and you'll be buying a brand name, quality product. They'll be able to offer you good advice as well.

It sounds like you have most of your equipment pretty well sorted. Consider the Sundstrom mask which comes in a starter kit including the correct activated charcoal and particulate filters. Most likely available from the paint distributor.

They will be able to help you with base coats and clears as well. A good choice would be Cromax 610 base which is more economical than the 6000 premium product. Also consider the Duxone 2K clear - it's really way better than an economy clear should be and what we use in the shop as our everyday clear. Cromax 696 clear is possibly a bit more forgiving but quite a bit more expensive.

Also consider talking to a Paintless Dent Removal guy about taking the hail dents out before you start painting. It's quite likely that doing that will save you a whole heap of time and give you a better base to work from. Filling hail dents with bog really isn't the right way to do it and you'll find it is very difficult to get a really flat surface.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:37 pm
NFT5^^^ he makes some real good points. you would be a lot better to get friendly with a jobber in your area.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:37 pm
one thing in the prep that caught my attention:
" So back to metal, Wash off with soap followed by deoxidine & Wax and grease remover. "
when im doing bodywork, I wash the vehicle completely before it comes into the shop.
no more washing. water on bare metal isn't good. after getting anything to bare metal, I just use a WAG- spray it on and wipe down. then any fillerwork. from what I read deoxidine is a phosphoric acid based cleaner? I wouldn't want to use that.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:12 pm
NFT5 wrote:The products recommended by the guys above are, I'm sure, very good, but the problem is that they're in the US and not sold here in Australia. The cost of transport of dangerous goods from there to here would be horrendous.

Pick up your Yellow Pages and find an automotive paint distributor somewhere near you that sells Axalta (used to be Dupont) products.

Talk to them about your needs.

As a starting point, for primer, the Duxone HS Primer Filler is excellent. Approved for DTM (down to metal) use, easy to spray and easy to sand. So, no need for an epoxy but...

If you really want to start with an epoxy for extra protection then get the Cromax 840R.

You'll find that the prices aren't much different to what's on Ebay and you'll be buying a brand name, quality product. They'll be able to offer you good advice as well.

It sounds like you have most of your equipment pretty well sorted. Consider the Sundstrom mask which comes in a starter kit including the correct activated charcoal and particulate filters. Most likely available from the paint distributor.

They will be able to help you with base coats and clears as well. A good choice would be Cromax 610 base which is more economical than the 6000 premium product. Also consider the Duxone 2K clear - it's really way better than an economy clear should be and what we use in the shop as our everyday clear. Cromax 696 clear is possibly a bit more forgiving but quite a bit more expensive.

Also consider talking to a Paintless Dent Removal guy about taking the hail dents out before you start painting. It's quite likely that doing that will save you a whole heap of time and give you a better base to work from. Filling hail dents with bog really isn't the right way to do it and you'll find it is very difficult to get a really flat surface.

Thanks for you're reply mate, appercate it heaps!

With that being said yeah alright i'm going to forget about buying from overseas, even tho he was willing to do %50 of the acutal products so it was worth shipping it over, Still like you say it's going to cost big dollars to get it over here.

Thanks heaps for you're suggestion now i have a few questions regarding them.
I'm going to grab a Sundstrom mask start kit for starters, That's that shorted. As for the haildamage i'm going to look into paintless dent removal i've seen them on youtube and the tools they look pretty easy might give it a crack myself there is alot of hail damage.

Now you seem pretty knowledable mate, I'm not. I'm not denying it. I've been around body work for a few years in the family but never ever done a car myself fully like i am now, i have some "experince" but still alot to learn, So

Am i wasting money laying epoxy down first? I would rather honestly skip epoxy and straight to Duxone HS Primer Filler. But with that being said it will probably sit in the Primer/epoxy for a few weeks before i lay the base on, So should i be safe and lay epoxy down first or am i just wasting money, Will Duxone HS Primer be fine to lay and will be good as a sealer to leave it for weeks if not months? If so i don't see the point going with epoxy. You seem to use this products every day i want to hear you're honest opinion mate money is not a factor, Quailty is for me.

I'm set on you're suggestions i'm going to go with Duxone, I'm going to keep sanding back the car to metal today getting it ready to lay the primer/epoxy on shortly and getting it straight.

But yeah i'm going to forget ebay etc because all you're points are really good and true, I won't get the support on ebay. i'm getting a quailty product that respects their reputation and will support me in every way with my products, it's the smart way to go.

let me know mate, I don't know weather i should skip epoxy or not this is my biggest desicion right now :bighug:

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:16 pm
Just had a look there are like 4 disputers around me that carry Axalta/Duxone

Awesome!
As for the other replies thank you very much i did read them

@tom i agree after doing some reading water etc is not good for metal, i won't do that again. Any more tips from anyone regarding ANYTHING body work metal, Laying whatever im happy to take it in! I'm an open book.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:26 pm
rdr140 wrote:Am i wasting money laying epoxy down first? I would rather honestly skip epoxy and straight to Duxone HS Primer Filler. But with that being said it will probably sit in the Primer/epoxy for a few weeks before i lay the base on, So should i be safe and lay epoxy down first or am i just wasting money, Will Duxone HS Primer be fine to lay and will be good as a sealer to leave it for weeks if not months? If so i don't see the point going with epoxy. You seem to use this products every day i want to hear you're honest opinion mate money is not a factor, Quailty is for me.

If the vehicle will be kept under cover then I see no reason why the Duxone HS Primer won't be fine for a month or two before you lay down base coat. So, IMHO, no need for epoxy. Obviously sand the primer back before spraying your base.

rdr140 wrote:As for the haildamage i'm going to look into paintless dent removal i've seen them on youtube and the tools they look pretty easy might give it a crack myself there is alot of hail damage.

It may look easy, but take it from me, it's not. It's a skill that only comes from doing literally thousand of dents. It would be cheaper and better just to let one of those guys do it, rather than having to outlay on all the tools and then find that it isn't as easy as it looks.
Chris
Next

Return to Body and Paint