pitting and over rust primers

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:48 am
I have 2 doors that have pitting along the molding line.
the pitting might be 1/4 the depth of the metal.
it would be a tough cut and replace and 54 doors are hard enough to find that replacing them would probably just get doors in the same shape.
I am hoping to find a way to make these work.
is there a good way to treat this without having it bite me later on?
I see the over rust primers but and rust converters but I don't have any experience with them to know if they would work in this case.
thanks for any help with this

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:39 pm
I always like to sand blast until you see all white metal showing. if you don't have a blaster you could use some phosphoric acid, Ospho is one. the drill is to clean as best you can, a fine wire wheel on a grinder works. then were your pits are you can saturate some strips of cloth and cover them with visqueen. let set for a day or two then remove the cloth strips and wipe clean with wet rags. now you need wire wheel again and see what you have you may need to do this 2-3 times. a small wire brush helps also the tooth brush style prefer s.s.. over rust primers and rust converters are something you should stay away from. a good epoxy primer will work good when you get the metal clean and bright

Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:53 pm
:goodpost: :goodpost:

Strip your door to metal, then media blast the pits to remove all rust. When done shoot two coats of epoxy and let cure at least 24 hours and then you can apply filler where needed.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint