Hood question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:24 am
I have a 68 mustang that is in pieces. It was my grandfathers project. He passed away so I want to finish it for him.
He has a hood for it but it has rust pin holes on the other side of it. Can I use a grinding wheel to cut the hood support out so I can remove and primer/paint the under side, mig weld in the pin holes, and slowly, and carefully weld the support back on? Or would it be easier just buying an aftermarket hood?

I have the same issue with the doors, except they are worse. The corners are rusted through a square about 3 inches in diameter. Is it better to try to fix these or re skin the door? Is it hard to re skin a door? (I am new at bodywork).

I appreciate any advice!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:48 am
Definately easier just getting aftermarket depending on quality. If it's rusted through I wouldn't tackle trying to save it unless it's unobtainable anywhere else.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:02 pm
Kevin Campbell wrote:Definately easier just getting aftermarket depending on quality. If it's rusted through I wouldn't tackle trying to save it unless it's unobtainable anywhere else.

I thought about that but I have heard a lot of aftermarket body parts don't fit too well. Also, on things like hoods, the shipping is terribly expensive.

Is it hard to replace just a door skin with the door off of the car and have it align correctly?

Return to Body and Paint