Flloor pan

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!



Top Contributor
Posts: 3756
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Pahrump NV.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:53 am
JBinMD wrote: Assuming of course that all the jack stands are the same height (I've seen two from the same set 1/4" different! :shock: ) and the garage floor the jack stands are on is perfectly level, which it rarely is.


:goodjob:

Jim I have to agree with JBinMD If the stands aren't the same the car cant ever be level even if it was strait to begin with. Not in my mind any way lol
Last edited by Doright on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Barnett
American airlines, Line Maintenance Mechanic & MOC Tech specialist
Allegiant airlines, Northern air cargo.
Vision airlines MOC tech specialist.
Fixing & restoring cars longer



Top Contributor
Posts: 3756
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Pahrump NV.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:56 am
JBinMD wrote:
stryped wrote:Can anyone help me with opinions on my 68's floor pan? My grandfather apparently pieced metal in places and on top of that installed it over the existing floor pan. Is there a way I can add pictures to my posts or send them to someone via email? Floor pans are something I have never messed with.....
Are you saying that in some places the floor has two layers, with new sheet metal above and original rusted floor pan below?


I too am confused with same statement, Is good metal welded on over the top of bad?

Also shouldn't we move this thread to welding section?
All to often we let to many good Body work threads stay in general section.
Dennis Barnett
American airlines, Line Maintenance Mechanic & MOC Tech specialist
Allegiant airlines, Northern air cargo.
Vision airlines MOC tech specialist.
Fixing & restoring cars longer

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 6679
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:10 pm
Doright wrote:
JBinMD wrote: Assuming of course that all the jack stands are the same height (I've seen two from the same set 1/4" different! :shock: ) and the garage floor the jack stands are on is perfectly level, which it rarely is.


:goodjob:

Jim I have to agree with JBinMD If the stands aren't the same the car cant ever be level even if it was strait to begin with. Not in my mind any way lol


If your garage floor is sloped and all of your jack stands exactly the same, the car will be parallel to the floor but not actually level.
That will work for most of the measurements being discussed.
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31



Top Contributor
Posts: 3756
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Pahrump NV.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:02 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
Doright wrote:
JBinMD wrote: Assuming of course that all the jack stands are the same height (I've seen two from the same set 1/4" different! :shock: ) and the garage floor the jack stands are on is perfectly level, which it rarely is.


:goodjob:

Jim I have to agree with JBinMD If the stands aren't the same the car cant ever be level even if it was strait to begin with. Not in my mind any way lol


If your garage floor is sloped and all of your jack stands exactly the same, the car will be parallel to the floor but not actually level.
That will work for most of the measurements being discussed.


If the floor is uneven & sloped and the Jack stands are uneven and the car is leveled ?

I'm messing with you : :rotfl:

What happened to the OP???
Dennis Barnett
American airlines, Line Maintenance Mechanic & MOC Tech specialist
Allegiant airlines, Northern air cargo.
Vision airlines MOC tech specialist.
Fixing & restoring cars longer



Settled In
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:55 am

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:39 pm
Doright wrote:
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
Doright wrote:
JBinMD wrote: Assuming of course that all the jack stands are the same height (I've seen two from the same set 1/4" different! :shock: ) and the garage floor the jack stands are on is perfectly level, which it rarely is.


:goodjob:

Jim I have to agree with JBinMD If the stands aren't the same the car cant ever be level even if it was strait to begin with. Not in my mind any way lol


If your garage floor is sloped and all of your jack stands exactly the same, the car will be parallel to the floor but not actually level.
That will work for most of the measurements being discussed.


If the floor is uneven & sloped and the Jack stands are uneven and the car is leveled ?

I'm messing with you : :rotfl:

What happened to the OP???



Sorry, Here I am. Yes, it looks as if in places, new metal was installed on top of older metal.

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 6679
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:18 pm
That's not good. Generally just makes pockets for rust to form or continue working.
Decision time. Full blown restoration or fix it up and drive it?
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31



Settled In
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:55 am

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:35 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:That's not good. Generally just makes pockets for rust to form or continue working.
Decision time. Full blown restoration or fix it up and drive it?

I know. This will not be a concourse resto as I do not have the correct motor or transmission. It will also not be the factory color. (My grandfather intended to paint it green and I feel obligated to continue with what he wanted.)

Money is also an issue in terms of parts. I want to do everything myself so labor is not an issue. (other than my time and/or lack of experience).



Top Contributor
Posts: 3756
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Pahrump NV.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 am
Stryped
What Make and model are we talking about here?
Dennis Barnett
American airlines, Line Maintenance Mechanic & MOC Tech specialist
Allegiant airlines, Northern air cargo.
Vision airlines MOC tech specialist.
Fixing & restoring cars longer



Settled In
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:55 am

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:01 pm
Doright wrote:Stryped
What Make and model are we talking about here?

This is a 1968 mustang convertible. My grandfather had it for eons, but passed away before he could finish it.



Top Contributor
Posts: 3756
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Pahrump NV.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:11 pm
Unfortunately Older Mustangs have a reputation for severe Rust problems.
BUT They do have a good following in the aftermarket world so parts availability is good.
Outer sheet metal such as quarters Fenders and Hoods leaves a little to be desired but I have heard good things about floor sections and the Rockers so no fear. Also Interior pieces are readily available as well.

You really need to ask your self How far you wanna go with it how correct you wanna be.
cant say I agree with putting good metal over bad as it will rest out faster just like Mike said if this is true I would cut out both and start over BUT I am not you, You need to answer how long you want this to last. Just because Paint and engine aren't original doesn't mean its ok to go about body repairs in a half $#% approach if you expect it to last a few years.

In the pictures you showed It looks like your Grand father did nice work, He may not have been using original type replacement parts he may have made his own patch panels but you cant really tell he welded directly over the old metal its the way you said it which left us with the question of it.
Are you sure you know what you are looking at? In this case If you crawled under the car if what you say is true you'd likely see rusted out panels with rust holes though them with good metal over the top from inside the car?????????

Pictures are worth a thousand words any way you can get under their????
Dennis Barnett
American airlines, Line Maintenance Mechanic & MOC Tech specialist
Allegiant airlines, Northern air cargo.
Vision airlines MOC tech specialist.
Fixing & restoring cars longer
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vegasloki and 80 guests