dp90lf 1 to 1 mixing error

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:55 pm
Hello I accidentally mixed and sprayed PPG DP90LF and DP402LH at a 1 to 1 ratio. will this cause me an issue, or will i be ok? it looks ok.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:02 am
I don't know, it might be or it might not be ok. if it was something of my own, a trailer or a work car or something like that and it cured up I would say ok. if it was for a customer I would probably say no. your best bet would be to place a call to PPG.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:05 am
badsix wrote:I don't know, it might be or it might not be ok. if it was something of my own, a trailer or a work car or something like that and it cured up I would say ok. if it was for a customer I would probably say no. your best bet would be to place a call to PPG.
Jay D.

Thank you Jay for the suggestion. I called Tech support and he said that "he couldn't say with good Conscience it will be okay but, said if it hardened then it should. He also said that he couldn't say if it will give out in the sun or when the top coat is applied".

It is now 8 hours later and the epoxy seems good. Its a little smoother then what I shot at the proper 2:1 but the hardness seems about the same. Unless someone has says they have had some good or bad experiences, I think I am going tot leave it for now. I still have plenty to do before I put anything on top of it. Its just been bare metal for sometime now and just wanted to get it protect it.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:42 am
It will cause it to be very brittle because it is over catalyzed. Best to sand it off and start over.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:20 am
Brian0000 wrote:It will cause it to be very brittle because it is over catalyzed. Best to sand it off and start over.

I am sure you're right, I'm just not excited about it.

Return to Body and Paint