Metalflake Candy Apple acrylic lacquer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:42 pm
Thanks again chopolds. Very interesting.

I was reading an interesting thread the other day (can't remember the site) where the vintage/custom guys mentioned all those names so just wrote about (Centari/Imron etc).

I was aware of the 2K tag meaning '2-component/paint+hardner' but the problem in the UK is we don't have any other name for our 2k/isocyanate-hardner type paint so I assumed Urethane was something different to what we have. Like a special 2K.

I think part of this idea came from the clearcoat instructions I have from Metalfake.

They gave 3 options:

1st - Metalflake Acrylic Lacquer 1 part clear acrylic to 1 part Metalflake Thinner
2nd - Polygloss Clear Urethane Wet Look Finish (P.P.A.) 1/4 pint Crysta-Cryl catalyst to 1 quart Polygloss Clear
3rd - Crysta-Cryl Acrylic Urethane (P.A.E.) 1/4 pint Crysta-Cryl catalyst to 1 quart Polygloss Clear

So to me choices 2 & 3 both looked like 2K but in UK we only get one type of 2K. I just noticed the acronyms PPA and PAE next to the two types. Wonder what they meant.

Anyway. It's good to know synthetic enamel was common both sides of the Atlantic :clap:
Previous

Return to Body and Paint