Solvent pop / water ?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Liechtenstein
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:00 pm
Hello everyone,

Just wondering what could have caused this kind of damage to the paintjob.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:20 pm
Looks like it's in between fish eyes and solvent pop. What was done to it specifically?

Non-Lurker

Liechtenstein
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:29 am
Well, i water sanded the primer and then applied color. All was done using spraycans. So im guessing maybe the paint wasnt compatible with primer ? Im doing this as a hobby, so theres a lot to learn.

Btw, i was using hair dryer to "cure the coats".

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 am
heres what I think and that doesn't mean much. but spray cans normally dry fast anyway, so buy using the hair dryer you increased the flash time a lot. what you did is to make the top surface flash way to fast this traps solvents so when they come to the surface they make a little bubble and the it pops leaving a little crater. the flash time needs to slow down so the solvents can evaporate normally. ideally you would want your paint to flash as slow as possible without getting runs or sags. this lets solvents out and lets the paint flow out smooth no orange peel. if it indeed is solvent pop ?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:59 pm
usually fish eyes are a mix of sizes, so big some small and usually not that heavy or uniform coverage. that my reason for calling it solvent pop, the craters are all uniform in size. also water is not much of a problem out of a spray can.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint