car guy needs comprehensive product advise-expert help neede

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:27 pm
Hi guys

My name's Pete, from Chicago, been a car guy my whole life, recently rebuild an older mercedes sl, which needs a total respray. Let's say money is not object, (it's a lie) what brand, filler, paint, clear, plastic adhesion promoter should I buy?

I don't know any good paint shops, few I visited quoted me anything between 2-4 grand to repaint a small convertible. As I stated previously I'm a self thought car guy, I really think I can build a spray booth in my garage and slowly do the job and do it well.

any pointers, advise will be hugely appreciated.

ps the car is black, no flake, I believe MB 040 paint code, which I think makes the job a little bit easier.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:50 am
From your post I gather you have never painted a car before.
You can spend $2,000 in materials to paint a car without even going high end on the paint and clear. That's just materials with no labor.

Please go to the Info Center and read the articles there and then as you visit the different Forum categories notice the Sticky Posts at the top and read them. Here's one to get you started:
http://www.autobody101.com/content/arti ... ould-know/

Material choices vary considerably based on what level of paint job as well as personal preference.

Black paint jobs show every imperfection so you will need to have your body work and prep done right.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:55 am
never painted before
for now just trying to figure out the best products to use

I mean for fillers 3M has silver, gold, platinum, I just don't know the difference :)

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:23 am
I use the Platinum but other guys will swear by the Evercoat Rage products.
Generally it comes down to ease of application (mixes and spreads easy, no pin holes, adheres well) and sanding qualities. Price is also a consideration. I can get the Platinum for $48 shipped to my door via the internet but local shops are charging $70+ for it.

Read the article I sent you first. Once you start adding up the costs for the proper equipment you may opt to have someone else do the job. I am not trying to discourage you by any means but if this is a one time thing then it will not be cost effect to DIY. If you plan to paint more cars in the future than the article I wrote will help you to best spend your money in getting the equipment you need.

Too many newbies run out and by all the expensive materials and then they sit there while they face sticker shock for the tools to apply the materials properly.
1968 Coronet R/T

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:28 pm
great article, read it few times, trying to go through the forums to find out what I had no idea about :) for me this is going to be the most challanging thing to do, I expect to make mistakes along the way, but long term I think I will succeed.

as far as costs, for the past 2 years I've been rebuilding a 1997 sl500, talking complete rebuild, interior, full suspension, brakes, engine, bought every part from the dealer, I don't think paint supplies can shock me at this point :happy:

my instagram roadster129 gives you an idea what I started with
thanks for your input, will go with platinum, may I ask which website you use?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:51 pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140891739265?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Tamco Primers and Clears can be purchased right here on the Store Front. Great prices and quality products.

I use Automotive Art Motobase LV for base coat.
You can get a quote from by emailing them and giving them your paint code: [email protected]
http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/

I use ********** primers and clears also. They make a super black base coat that I used on my 2000 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic in the projects section. I also like their epoxy primer and order the black mostly.
1968 Coronet R/T

Return to Body and Paint