Is Lacquer Still Available?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:35 pm
I have a 3’’ scratch on the rear quarter panel of my 1979 corvette and would like to repair it, however not certain on how to proceed. I would like to just repair the area and blend the paint into the quarter. I assume that the paint on the car, which otherwise is in exceptional condition, is lacquer. That is my problem, as I do not know if I could get away with using a base coat clear coat process. I have called several paint distributors and can’t find anyone who sells lacquer paint. If I couldn’t blend the paint I would need to paint the entire rear section and roof of the car as there is no individual panels, all one piece. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ken

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:21 am
I learned this stuff in the "lacquer era", and really like the ease and looks of it. You can still buy lacquer, but you have to know where. Duplicolor makes their version of it, but I'm not a huge fan. It will work in a pinch, but it comes pre-reduces, and I don't think it's the highest quality. Pre-reduction means you can't use the correct drying temp thinner for the conditions you are spraying in. It could be a problem if you're outside "normal" conditions (70-80* temps, and normal humidity). Bill Hirsch, and Hibernia Auto still sell lacquer, even nitrocellulose.
Now, I belong to a forum that is focused on building period correct, or traditional hot rods and custom cars. An ongoing issue. as it is with restorers, is correct paint finish. There is a guy on the board, who is a chemist and who's wife owns, or runs a paint store. He has been working on formulating "new" lacquer paints, some that are even VOC compliant, and some that use a hardener, for a tougher finish. He might work with you to supply a mix to match your Corvette's paint color, in lacquer. This is a thread concerning painting lacquers, and somewhere in there is a link to his store. IF you can't find it, contact him directly.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... 512/page-7

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:42 pm
:goodpost: I did a lot of lacquer way back its fun to use. there are a lot of 356 Porsche people that would vomit if they thought someone was going to put anything but lacquer on one.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 pm
If this is original paint, it should be acrylic enamel, and not lacquer.
Both AE and lacquer will rub off with polish, but the AE is much
more durable.

It could also have been repainted with lacquer back in the day, but
you must determine which is on there now, because they're not
compatible. Put a few drops of enamel reducer on an unobtrusive
area and see if the paint bubbles up. If it reacts, it's indeed lacquer.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:09 am
NightTrain wrote:If this is original paint, it should be acrylic enamel, and not lacquer.
Both AE and lacquer will rub off with polish, but the AE is much
more durable.

It could also have been repainted with lacquer back in the day, but
you must determine which is on there now, because they're not
compatible. Put a few drops of enamel reducer on an unobtrusive
area and see if the paint bubbles up. If it reacts, it's indeed lacquer.

GM used lacquers most of it's existence, while Ford and Mopar used enamel..

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 pm
Apparently Corvettes changed to acrylic enamel about the 81 model year.
Here's a Chevy TSB that is interesting, regarding the changeover from
acrylic lacquer to enamels and repair techniques.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/knowledgebase/article/1980-corvette-service-bulletin-enamel-paint-pilot-program-712.html
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am
Apparently, TCP Global still sells lacquer (mail order). Looking at some of their paint now for an old Valiant I wanted to paint in acrylic enamel. Tried to order Centari through Finishmaster, and was surprised that it was discontinued four years ago.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 pm
Thanx to all for the information! I do know that the car has not been repainted as I am the original owner.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 am
could you post some pictures and tell us what the color is. I think your best bet would be to use current base and clear, depending on color its going to be almost imposable to mail order lacquer and have it match anywhere close. blending the lacquer should not be a problem but you need to be close with the color match. the clear lacquer is doable but a clear urethane would be much easer.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint