Clear over Vinyl Wrap

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:21 am
We wrapped the hood on my sons mustang with vinyl carbon fiber. Does anyone know if we can clear the hood now. Was thinking it would give it nice depth but I'm not sure about adhesion or if it will burn the vinyl.
1969 CAMARO SS X66 work in progress

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:13 am
I've done some smaller parts with auto clears over the wraps but none that would get the exposure of an entire hood like that.... What I would be concerned about are the difference in the co-efficient of expansion between the wrap and the clear. It wouldn't be so much that you won't get good adhesion it is just that over time it could delaminate. Hood temps. on a good sunny day are a lot hotter than most people think. I've gotten readings of 165 F. plus on black hoods just sitting at a car show and I'm just in Ohio. If you do clear I'd go with something like **********'s Universal Clear which remains "softer" and more pliable over time.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:05 am
thanks Darrel. I didn't think about temp issues.
1969 CAMARO SS X66 work in progress

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:29 am
Yeah, temp.s and heat/cold cycling is kind of big thing with dissimilar materials. If you ever notice when auto factories have failures with base/clear it almost always starts on the front hood and roof sections first. The hood has both the direct sun thing and the heat from the motor underneath cycling back and forth.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:17 pm
One option might be to use a clear wrap over the carbon fiber
wrap...? Just thinking out loud, haven't tried it.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:33 am
Yep, tried that on some samples a few times... it just looked "cloudy." Seemed to bond but again I couldn't get past the look so I didn't do any more testing with it. It did convince me to get a laminated clear wrap though. My last faux carbon fiber vinyl was very glossy which is what I was looking for on my lower bumper trim. It is holding up well, too.

Return to Body and Paint