slow hardener labled as fast ?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:10 pm
Hi guys , so i painted my van sliding door the other day using mipa single stage 2k acrylic with fast hardner 2:1 , and its still tacky the next day!! iv never had that happen before so i was fairly shocked and automatically thought i had forgot activator on my second mix, room temp is about 15 degrees C , but then would of droped off at night, as a test i added a tiny bit of activator to what was left in my paint cup which was left on the side to see if the following day it would be a solid lump and nope, its going off but not solid after 24hrs, so thats telling me i did add hardner but somethings not quite right with it ...2days after and the door has started to cure ,its lost its tackyness but still soft, does this sound like the hardner has been labled wrong? and is infact extra slow? , iv never used slow hardner before so i dont know what the cure time is like for slow hardner @ 5- 15degrees C , .. only thing im thinking is i didnt shake up the activator? it was new and sealed and perfectley clear..thanks ...

Settled In
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:47 am
It seems highly unlikely the fast would be slow inside the can. Make sure you give the 2k products heat. They don't like to be air dried as such. I bake my 2k paints at 60 degrees for 30 mins. If you dont have a booth then try putting a heat lamp or radiator close by.

Jordan
Check out my Refinishing channel below!
http://www.youtube.com/c/repairrefinishtv

Return to Body and Paint