info on color vs colored flake

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:48 am
good morning you guys have helped me a lot with learning how to do a good paint job. I am doing paint as a hobby and have stepped up my game on each car or motorcycle I do. I am getting a 1973 240z ready to paint for my wife and she has made color choices that have me a bit puzzled. she wants gun metal gray with blue flake .004 and a lot of pearl. so how would you guys go about a job like this. thanks

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:38 am
first if it was me i would choose flake or pearl not both
second a good flake job is VERY expensive and i do not recommend to a beginner
flakes usually do not look good unless completely covered

something easy for you would be the gun metal with a little blue pearl sprayed over the top
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:02 am
PainterDave wrote:first if it was me i would choose flake or pearl not both
second a good flake job is VERY expensive and i do not recommend to a beginner
flakes usually do not look good unless completely covered

something easy for you would be the gun metal with a little blue pearl sprayed over the top

thank you I did not know there was a blue pearl.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:23 am
I LOVE metal flake. Pearl, especially ice pearl and similar look good. But nothing does what real flake does in the sun.

The flake you are talking about is micro flake, and not that hard to work with. There is a ton of information on the web about how to spray it. In very basic terms... you spray the base as usual then apply a few coats of clear with the flake mixed in, then apply a few coat of just clear to bury the flake. Let that sit in the sun for a week or more. Then lightly sand to open the clear and and let it cure for another week or so. Then sand it flat and apply a couple more coats of clear. Ready for cut-n-buff.

Yes, it is expensive due to the cost and amount of materials needed. Yes, it takes more time and effort than a tri-coat. But nothing beats the sparkle and depth of a good flake job.

Order a small qnty of the flake you are thinking about using and try a few spray outs. Use something curved so you can get a better idea how it will look on the car.

You may find flake is not for you. Or you may find you love it.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:12 pm
BeoBob wrote:I LOVE metal flake. Pearl, especially ice pearl and similar look good. But nothing does what real flake does in the sun.

The flake you are talking about is micro flake, and not that hard to work with. There is a ton of information on the web about how to spray it. In very basic terms... you spray the base as usual then apply a few coats of clear with the flake mixed in, then apply a few coat of just clear to bury the flake. Let that sit in the sun for a week or more. Then lightly sand to open the clear and and let it cure for another week or so. Then sand it flat and apply a couple more coats of clear. Ready for cut-n-buff.

Yes, it is expensive due to the cost and amount of materials needed. Yes, it takes more time and effort than a tri-coat. But nothing beats the sparkle and depth of a good flake job.

Order a small qnty of the flake you are thinking about using and try a few spray outs. Use something curved so you can get a better idea how it will look on the car.

You may find flake is not for you. Or you may find you love it.

cool thanks I just did a motorcycle with the .004 flake mixed into the base coat. it was burgundy with silver flake. when sun light hits it its awesome. but I like what you are suggesting sounds like a plan that I would like to try.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:57 pm
Have you ever visited here.... www.paintwithpearl.com It is work a look. I use their raw stuff and make careful notes about my mixes. I use an intercoat clear for the base and then just experiment.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:17 am
Yep, flake can go in the basecoat. Works especially well if it's a translucent basecoat. Depends on what you are trying to achive.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:28 pm
If you do get into experimenting get some ********** intercoat clear. The stuff is crystal clear and it lays down flakes, pearls, wayyyyy....better than HOK intercoat or even their pearl carrier intercoat....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:11 pm
sorry darrel but dont ever do a full flake job with intercoat clears. maybe ok on some stripes or graphics. but a true flake job requires 100% coverage with flake and intercoat will crack getting it that thick. but if your goal is to put a little flake here and there it will work fine
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:31 pm
Yep, I use it pretty much like you say there Dave, more accent stuff, no overall shoots. I like to do ghost effects, faux finishing, minor stripe accents, etc.
Next

Return to Body and Paint