info on color vs colored flake

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:30 am
FYI . . . I would pick my product line and then follow their P-sheet TO THE LETTER. I used HOK products for a full flake and candy job. With them you shoot your base let it dry for an hour then shoot the flake in flake carrier (inter-coat clear) let it flash, cover it with 3 coats on "top coat" catalysted clear, let it dry over night. Then come in and sand LIGHTLY with 320 P to get is semi smooth DO NOT SAND INTO THE FLAKE (ask how I know) :whoops: then clean it up wipe, tack and air. THEN shoot your candy followed by clear (lots of it). Then the fun begins with cut and buff. I have had mine painted to over 3 years and not had any problems. It looks as good today as the day we rolled it out of the paint booth. I had confidence in HOK as they have been making and doing this for over 60 years and they know how their products work. I am not a JR. chemist!

I caution people to be careful taking advise from experts on the internet. Some are, some just think they are. They will not be there to pay for and correct any problems. Good luck! Mel

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:03 am
I don't like the basecoat clear for heavy flake. The stuff is too thin, makes all the flake lay flat and at the same angle. Ends up looking more like tinfoil under candy. It will also wrinkle on you in a heart beat. Especially if you lay more than 3 coats or spray heavy trying to get coverage... miss judge a re-coat window or spray it too thick??? ****!!!!

I just use the same UV clear all the way through the process. It's thicker and has more solids which lets the flake lay at different angles rather than everything flat. And it's almost impossible to wrinkle. But that's just my preference.

Good point made about sanding. If you are using colored flake you have to be very careful not to sand down into the flake or you will get silver spots. If you use silver flake you don't have to worry about this as much.

Make sure the surface is good and flat before proceeding with candy or artwork. If you are using large flake for heavy coverage you will probably need to spray a second session of clear before you can get it good and flat without sanding into the flake. If there are any iregularities in the surface when you start your candy it's going to pool in the low areas (think orange peel) and creating dark spots.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint