Seam sealer, Before or after Epoxy

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:43 pm
Hello all,
Working on a 1962 Ford falcon that i am in the processes of stripping now. I noticed there is seam sealer along the roof to drip rails and also along the B pillar window frame. I am looking at replacing it since it is all cracked chipped and some spots missing. I just want to do it right the first time. What is your recommendations. Epoxy primer then seam sealer or seam seal then epoxy before high build primer goes on? Another question I have is do you recommend a certain brand of seam sealer?
Thank you, for the help in advance.
Ron

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:09 pm
you'll probably get 2 replies some do it before and some do it after. I like to do it after the epoxy, I like to get those areas clean then shoot them with epoxy. some times you might need to use a small brush to get in areas that are difficult to spray into. then I like to use a two part sealer, I use Lord Fusor only because I have the application gun and i'm old and set in my ways on some things. there are better sealers out there I just can't recommend one.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:28 am
I agree with after. Especially if you are blasting it down to bare steel. Just think if you have a tear or some other compromise in the soft seam sealer, that moisture that can potentially get in there will then have a layer of epoxy to contend with instead of bare metal. It's just double assurance.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:59 pm
my thoughts exactly! seams and drip gutters are real potential problem areas. good your blasting, just make sure you get it coated good with the epoxy use the brush if you have to. if you epoxy then seam seal then apply a primer with in the recoat time your ok. but if your going to do more work before you prim the epoxy I like to scuff it up real good then apply the seam sealer. that way your ready any time for the primer, its sometimes difficult to scuff that area good after you get the sealer in there. just some ideas to think about.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint