How much paint?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:43 am
Sorry folks, I'm sure this has been asked on here a thousand times, but the search function didn't turn up any useful results. I've seen articles where folks make different recommendations on how much paint you'll need for a given vehicle depending on experience level, but I don't feel I've been able to comfortably get my question answered. I'll be painting a 1978 F250 Supercab, long bed. This is a BIG truck. I've already done the interior, the under-side of the hood, cowl, etc. when it was apart. Now it's all back together, and all I have to do is shoot the exterior and the jambs (I will not be shooting the inside of the bed, as it will be Linexed). I have enough epoxy and 2k sandable, but I know I need more base.

I am not a very experienced painter, and I have about 1/2 gallon of base left. How much more should I buy for three coats on the whole truck. 1 gallon? 2? I'm trying not to waste money at $351/ gallon, but I dont want to come up short either.

Maybe someone can come up with a paint calculator quantity article and "sticky" it?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:44 pm
depends on color and what shade sealer you use.

tip size on spray gun

how heavy you spray

high flow fittings

adjust air properly

i could probably spray the outside of a truck with 3 or 4 quarts RTS depending on factors above
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:04 pm
Figure 10 ozs of RTS per coat per panel.

Count the back of the cab, roof, fenders, bedsides (inside and out) etc. as panels.
It takes more than you think to paint a large truck like that.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 am
I used to say 8 oz per panel per coat but upped it to 10 oz per panel per coat due to unforeseen problems that can come up.
The first time you drag your air hose through a freshly painted fender or find out you have to repaint a panel or get clumsy and spill a full mixing cup of paint on the floor - you will be glad you figured a little extra paint.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 am
good advice above.

"per panel" is opinion based. what size panel are we talking here ? fender on a honda ? fender on a truck ? i can get 2 coat coverage on some colors where others take four or five.

how much paint did it take you to paint the square footage you already painted ?

how much square footage do you have left to paint ?

but 68s advice above is good advice id follow that rule
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint