optimum order of painting areas of car

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:45 pm
Hey everyone,
I am getting ready to paint a 67 Nova 2-dr. Paint will be BC/CC silver metallic. Body work is complete and loose panels (hood, doors, trunk, fenders) have already been sprayed with 2k epoxy primer and 2k high build. Entire car (interior, jambs, exterior) will be painted. Painting will be done in a paint booth. Interior and jambs will not be block sanded, but rest of the car will be.

I really would prefer to paint the exterior surfaces while the panels are all bolted on the car. The thought being that there is less of a chance of mismatching the metallic flake, and no assembly (and potential damage) of painted panels.

Current thought is I will roll the shell of the car (no panels attached) into the booth and mask off any non-paint areas. Spray all surfaces with epoxy primer then during open time spray all surfaces with high build. While still during open time of high build, spray interior and jambs with another coat of epoxy primer (as seal coat), then base color and then clear. This will result in overspray on the exterior panels, but I will be blocking those so seems like not a big deal. At the same time I will spray the underside of hood and trunk, and inside/sides of doors with epoxy primer/base/clear.

Now let everything cure for a couple days and then block sand the car (minus interior and jambs). Reassemble/align all panels on car.

At this point I'm not sure the best way to protect the jambs. Mask right up to the edge? Tape backside of all seams?

Then spray another coat of epoxy primer (seal coat) over exterior surfaces and then during open time spray base and then clear.

thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:00 pm
Well if I processed this correct it sounds doable. I would watch my flash and dry times putting epoxy hi build then more epoxy then base coat and clear that's a lot of green paint all at one time or one day. to tape the jambs I like to mask, with that old of a car the rear quarters should fold over the jamb. mask right up to the jamb fold then use the foam tape. the trouble that comes up is that you get quite a lot of overspray right at the door opening when you spray the jambs with most older cars the jamb isn't flat were the door rubber seals, you almost have to shoot it at an angle that gets base and clear thick on the quarter this is difficult to sand smooth with 800 paper. it can be done though. your smart to spray the exterior all together.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:30 am
I suggest you do a search on here as the proper order of things has been discussed repeatedly.

My guess is you will have shrinkage problems doing things as described.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:54 pm
Seems like you're pushing fast on these steps. 68 has a valid point about stuff shrinking back on you.... We spend so much money on materials and time on labor....stuff can come back to bite you....add more missing ingredient in your process.... "time"
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:16 pm
fusion wrote:Current thought is I will roll the shell of the car (no panels attached) into the booth and mask off any non-paint areas. Spray all surfaces with epoxy primer then during open time spray all surfaces with high build. While still during open time of high build, spray interior and jambs with another coat of epoxy primer (as seal coat), then base color and then clear. This will result in overspray on the exterior panels, but I will be blocking those so seems like not a big deal. At the same time I will spray the underside of hood and trunk, and inside/sides of doors with epoxy primer/base/clear.

Now let everything cure for a couple days and then block sand the car (minus interior and jambs). Reassemble/align all panels on car.

At this point I'm not sure the best way to protect the jambs. Mask right up to the edge? Tape backside of all seams?

Then spray another coat of epoxy primer (seal coat) over exterior surfaces and then during open time spray base and then clear.

thoughts?

Thanks in advance

im not the brightest bulb in the paint booth. :happy: nor a pro.
buuuut, isnt high build usually used when theres going to be sanding done? what would be the purpose of spraying it if not sanding?
why the rush?

youve already sprayed epoxy and high build, then want to spray more on top of that?

"less chance of mismatching the metallic paint"- as stated, im not a pro, but ive done a couple metallic jobs with the panels hanging in the booth. paint all mixed and ready to go before spraying the 1st coat and stirred it up before refilling the gun.
that, plus the last coat being a dust/mist coat, they all came out great.

again, not a pro, but after all the bodywork i do on a car getting it ready for paint, painting isnt the time to start rushing.
solvent pop sucks.

Return to Body and Paint