Another Roockie quest on Grit and Blocking

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 pm
I'm almost done with the body filler and am getting ready to apply the polyester primer, then urethane primer, etc... and I have a couple questions. Below is my plan of what grit to final sand each step to. I based the final grit for each product based on the tech sheet for the next product to be applied's surface prep recommendation. Does the final grit sound right for each step.

a) Finish applying body filler ( Evercoat Rage Ultra) to areas needing it and final block to 180 grit
b) Apply 2 wet coats of polyester prime and final block to 320 grit)
c) Apply 2 wet coats of Urethane Primer and final block to 600 grit
d) At this point I should be ready for sealer , base coat, then clear coat

2) Also, if the goal is to final sand, for example the urethane primer to 600, should I start with say 320, followed by 400, and then 600? Or should I just go straight to 600 and skip the coarser grits?

Thanks ~ Lenny B.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:36 am
There are lots of different methods guys use that will accomplish the same thing.
Below is a guide that helped me:

Whenever I have to do a lot of filler work or a Classic and want the panel straight I use Slick Sand.
1. After the bondo work I spray black epoxy then two coats of polyester primer (Slick Sand or Featherfill G2)
2. Next day or two I block with 80 trying to sand down the gray until I start seeing black.
3. Next I spray two more coats of polyester primer then sand with 180 until I see black.
4. Followed this with 2 coats of 2k build primer, guide coat and wet sand with 400 to remove guide coat.
5. Spray a coat of reduced epoxy as a sealer.
6. Sand the epoxy with 600 or 800 then prep car and spray the base.

You want to block sand using a coarse grit to get the panels straight. Remember not to press hard on your sanding block. Let the sandpaper do the work and change it out as soon as it quits cutting.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:52 am
Sounds good sir. Just didn't want to do things the hard way. Thanks again for your help.

Return to Body and Paint