"Chip guard" Toyota Tacoma paint repair

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 am
I looked up chip guard paint and don't see any posts relevant to my specific question.

I have a 2017 Toyota Tacoma in the magnetic grey and I damaged the chip guard type paint below the Tacoma badge when using gasket remover to take of the badges. Paint stood up fine, where the gasket remover dropped down it caused fogged run marks on the textured paint. I was wondering if sanding with 320 and covering with clear coat would work. Are there better options?

I have painted my own panels on a jeep through the community college ROP program a few years back. Overalll I am a dabbler in auto body and am looking for a home solution. Is this better served fixing at a body shop to get the right texture!

Thanks in advance.
Jon
San Diego

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:24 pm
To make it look right you will have to reapply the chip guard and repaint. You can get rattle can chip guard at your local paint supply. You will need to practice spraying it to duplicate the texture, but other than that it's pretty easy to do

Chuck

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:16 pm
Idunnit wrote:To make it look right you will have to reapply the chip guard and repaint. You can get rattle can chip guard at your local paint supply. You will need to practice spraying it to duplicate the texture, but other than that it's pretty easy to do

Chuck

Reapply the chip guard and repainted?

As in base coat and all, then reapply the chip guard?

The chip guard definitely has a soft feel to it. Will it wet sand down to the clear and then reapply chip guard?

I have sprayed SEM chip guard out of a can.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:21 am
Chip guard is applied under the standard paint from the factory. If there's damage to the finish ( you stated fogging?), at a minimum a scuff sand , rebase, and reclear will likely be necessary. I would let it set for a few days regardless in hopes that the fogging might dissipate. If not, it's still a good idea to allow the gasket remover to evaporate away prior to repair. Post some pics so we have a better idea what you're up against.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:27 pm
Kevin Campbell wrote:Chip guard is applied under the standard paint from the factory. If there's damage to the finish ( you stated fogging?), at a minimum a scuff sand , rebase, and reclear will likely be necessary. I would let it set for a few days regardless in hopes that the fogging might dissipate. If not, it's still a good idea to allow the gasket remover to evaporate away prior to repair. Post some pics so we have a better idea what you're up against.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:28 pm
And

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:30 pm
It's been 2 weeks. No change what's so ever.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:01 pm
never seen that before... the texture is still there might have to just 800 that whole door spray some base and reclear
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:57 pm
PainterDave wrote:never seen that before... the texture is still there might have to just 800 that whole door spray some base and reclear

That's a bummer. More than I. Want to bite off right now. What would likely SoCal price range be for a body shop fix?

Return to Body and Paint