Salvage title inspection.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:14 am
I just bought an '01 Accord Coupe on CL. It is a salvage title. This was the result of being rearended. When I first inspected it, it seemed quite minor. It appeared that the bumper was just pushed forward, caving in the spare tire well a bit. Trunk still opens and closes fine. Bolt on a new bumper and bumper cover and I'll be good to go. Otherwise this care is very nice. 112K miles, like new inside, fully loaded. 2000 bucks worth of scheduled maintenance, new stainless steel exhaust, new tires, struts. I figured I made out like a bandit for 1200 bucks.

Then I get it home, and start digging deeper. Once I peeled off the soundproof stuff in the trunk, I see that the frame rails, are tweaked pretty good. By frame rails, I mean the boxed sections of sheet metal that the bumper bolt to. I have a replacement used bumper and cover. I am pretty sure I can get this thing back to looking very close to undamaged, but my concern is getting the state inspectors to sign off on it. I have done some reading here and I see that they are somewhat particular as they need to ensure that the damage will not cause a safety issue in the event of another crash.

I have taken pics and can get the VIN from the donor bumper+cover car.

I will post pics. If it isn't practical to fix, I will cut my losses and part it out. Seems like there is always someone looking for Honda parts. I really do hope this is a fixer. It runs beautifully and even if I had to get into it for another grand or so, it would be worth it, IMO.

I will post some pics shortly.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:10 pm
You'll need to get it over to a frame shop to see if it was just too damaged to fix economically or that it wasn't fixable. I owned an F150 that was written as a total because the insurance didn't want to fix it and would rather have totalled it even though the frame shop guy said it was safe and fixable.

It's kind of a hassle but you should be able to part it out if need be. I won't get a salvage for a street car here in NV. I would use one for a race car as long as I could get under it and have a look at the frame rails or unibody.

Return to Body and Paint