Tough Decision - Spot Paint or Redo the entire hood

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:37 am
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I am hoping to get some good advice. I'm not an autobody painter but it looks like this would be the site to get some professional help. I am thinking of purchasing a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Overall, the car is is very good shape, exterior-wise. It has one glaring problem...on the lip of the car hood, there's bubbling. About 3" wide x 2" deep. The dealer quoted me $1300 to repair it (repaint it)...he said I'd need to replace the entire hood and repaint it. I'm inclined to agree with him. However, will shops do a "spot repair?" I don't care if the color matches perfectly but I'd want it to be very close in matching color when fixed. Afterwards I can simply attach a hood protector on the car and basically hide the front of the hood anyway. And repair it completely when I have more funds. Lastly would a spot repair simply start to rust all over again or could that be a reasonable fix? See photos. Time is of the essence so your quick responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks - Mike
Attachments
tight shot.jpg
Tight shot of bubbling
Photo 1.jpg

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:00 pm
Always clear the entire hood when paining even a small area.
Fixing that spot right, would probably cost as much as a new hood,
and even then, the rust may come back.
I never guarantee a rust area to not come back.
A new hood is the right way.
But either way, paint the entire hood for a new one
and spot the color if you fix that one and clear the entire hood.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:58 pm
what JC said.
personally, if i was lookin at that ride and saw that on the hood, id be lookin over the rockers and wheel wells good.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:04 pm
Aluminum hood with galvanic corrosion. You might be able to get it to look good for awhile, but it will return. Even a new hood might bubble sooner. Manufacturing flaw caused by metal contamination of the aluminum panel.

Return to Body and Paint