Painting silver metallic....

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:44 pm
I've got an 2008 Civic sedan silver metallic that Ive painted the front end and both drivers side doors. Well Im having trouble with a couple of things, one is that the new paint seems to be much more metallic and the other is the dreaded blotchiness. Im using Pro Spray base coat reduced one to one with Tamco reducer. I've actually had to shoot the paint using a lower pressure to try to keep the metallics from standing up so much. I've used both a Devilbiss FLG5 and a Sharpe FX3000 for basecoat. Seem to have better results with the Sharpe. I used a medium reducer and outside temp was high 70's, should I be using a slow reducer at 70's to low 80's temps? Silver seems to be a real PITA to paint, any tips will be thankful, thanks.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 pm
Well metallic on a 9 year old car will fade, you may end up shooting the complete car if it really bothers you. you are blending it out I hope. it also sounds like you may be applying it a little to heavy causing the blotches. your lower air pressure could also be causing problems, kick it back up a little and try the slower reducer it may let the flake settle down somewhat. did you buy the paint from a auto body supply jobber ? did they suggest alternate shades of your color? I have never used the Pro Spray but I have tried many others and there are differences. at those temps I would try the slower reducer with light to med coats.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:45 am
slow reducer.

i paint my silvers over a dark grey sealer
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:30 pm
Thanks guys, I consider myself a newbie/amateur but I've never had this much trouble painting any other color, will give it a go and report back.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:52 pm
Silvers are indeed tricky. I used to have more trouble with them but as said going to slower reducer helped, then I later added going with the darker sealers.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:50 pm
It seems that the darker sealer is something I should get ahold of. What if you're doing a blend into an adjacent panel and no sealer?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:28 am
shouldnt need to seal a blend panel
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint