Diagnose 2 pack faults

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:08 pm
Hi forum,
I’m starting out in the 2 pack world and my first two efforts have produced some surprising results.

Job 1: Metallic blue base coat, covered with clear, looked great when I finished but overnight turned flat grey. During the following day, it turned more glossy blue again but it seems lighter now and has taken on a purple hue.

Job 2: An old paint surface on a steel motorcycle tank had some small scratches that I corrected and primed with an acrylic spray putty. Some hours later, after smoothing and dewaxing, I applied a silver base coat over the whole tank. As it dried, the silver crinkled around the edges of the repaired area, but not over the larger repaired area or anywhere else on the tank.

Can anyone suggest what has happened in both cases and what I need to do, to prevent these mistakes in future?
Thanks
Christy

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:11 pm
1. You painted while it was raining or the humidity was very high.

As the paint travelled to the panel it has picked up moisture in the air and this has been caught in the surface. It may come good if you leave out in the sun for a day or two.

2. The surface has previously been painted using a 2K primer and you've covered with an acrylic product.

Firstly the primer filler was not left long enough to dry and secondly your colour coat was too thick and wet. The thinners in the colour coat has soaked through the primer and reacted with the previous substrate where you exposed and feathered out, causing it to soften and wrinkle up.

Rub it back and redo using light coats and allowing adequate flash times between coats.
Chris

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:50 pm
#1 could be die-back, coats too heavy and/or not enough dry time between coats. Rushing a finish over still-curing epoxy primer can do it, too.

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:10 pm
It wasn't raining but I think I probably made every other one of those mistakes. Great forum!
Many thanks for your advice.

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:23 pm
Re Nr 1, The colour has improved after a few days under a lamp, but it still isn't correct. I probably also put the clear on too thick and too little time between coats because I was rushing at the end of the day. Am I right to guess that if I cut the clear back far enough I can restore the colour?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:58 pm
#1 did you use a sealer ? what is 2 pack to you ?

#2 sounds like your edges are lifting in spots you feathered ?
get some waterborn primer to help with this ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint