Need help on sealer color

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:47 am
New guy here with a real noob question. I'm painting my truck using UreKems fire red metallic. I'm sanding down the paint that is on the truck in hopes of using it as an existing primer. I plan on using a sealer just to be on the safe side and to even out the color since I have already broken through to the factory primer in some places. UreKem offers different color sealers so I emailed and asked which one would be right for my red metallic basecoat to which they replied that red would be a good choice. Red seems like the obvious choice but I am worried that if I go with a red sealer then it will be too hard to see if I have 100% coverage of the base. Where as my fear with going with a light gray sealer instead is that it wont bring out the desired result of the red and it will give the red a weird hue.

Ive never sprayed a metallic before and in not sure exactly how transparent it is but if someone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:21 am
Make a black & white copy of your red color on a printer and
that's the shade of gray color sealer you need.
I usually mix black and white epoxy together to get the shade I want.
Epoxy primer is the best sealer out there, and it increases adhesion a lot.
Much stronger than a normal "sealer"
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 am
Sorry its taken me so much time to reply, work has kept me so busy lately but that is a great Idea, ill give it a shot. Urekem has a 2k Urethane primer/sealer that Im thinking of going with, just to stick with the manufacturer of the base/clear

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:41 am
I used the Urekem red sealer and it is a light red (see pic), I am covering with UreKem maroon tide (a dark red) and had no problem covering.
Attachments
IMG_0444.JPG

Return to Body and Paint