masking weatherstipping?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:39 pm
Never ran into this before, but then again, I almost never work on newer cars! Painted a 2014 Malibu. Now I'm getting the jambs ready to shoot (hopefully tomorrow night!). I removed the weatherstrip on the body side, it just slips over the pinchweld. On the doors, though, I tried to remove the stuff, and broke every clip on the first door I did. Little "T" shaped clips. Decided I just better mask the stuff off. Tape did NOT stick to it, even after a wipe down with lacquer thinner. I've never seen those tiny clips for sale, and I certainly do not want to replace all 4 door's weatherstripping. Is there a trick to get tape to stick to it? Or Is there a source for those clips I don't know about? I used a trim removing tool to attempt to remove them without damage, but every one broke off right at the part that goes into the hole.
Please help

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:49 pm
Leave the clips and carefully remove weather strip from the clip by pulling to one side and then the other. Kind of like removing a hangar from a Tshirt if that makes sense. Same as going back on.

If you don't want to do that then wipe the weather strip with clear. Very lightly though. Let air dry a few minutes and tape will stick. Do not use hardener in the clear.

But if it was me I would replace the clips :)
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 pm
Use wax & grease remover on the rubber seal, not thinners. It won't attack the rubber like the thinners might. Sometimes takes two or three goes.

The clips are readily available. For example, a few different styles here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdoor+seal+clips.TRS0&_nkw=door+seal+clips&_sacat=0

They can be removed with the right shaped clip removing tool. I use a Sunflag No. 375 and grind the base down a little to better get under the small clip heads. The barbs make it difficult but it's a matter of getting them at the right angle and lifting one side first.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint