Omni vs Deltron

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:25 pm
What's up... I'm new to this site & when I saw the question "Omni vs Deltron" I figured I'd throw out a suggestion for you. The only main differences with the base is color match & coverage... Deltron DBC is the way to go hands down! When I use Omni by itself it's usually for a cheap job where the customer is on a tight budget, no insurance, or the job is a favor & they aren't to concerned about color match &/or quality! I notice a difference too... to me it just doesn't look the same & im never really satisfied after using Omni base! That's just my thoughts though! I'm pretty sure Deltron DBC is one of the only PPG lines to offer color variants for a paint code too (if needed) for a better match but I could be wrong. That & you won't have to use as much as you would Omni to get the panel fully covered. In this case you're not painting something that you're trying to match or need to blend & it may sound crazy but you can actually use both the Deltron & Omni together. If you need a quart, buy a pint of Omni & a pint of Deltron DBC both the same color code. Spray the Omni 1st to get the panels mostly covered 1-2 coats & finish with the Deltron as your final coat/s. Price out a qt of DBC by itself, then price it out the way I suggested. You'll save a good amt of $ & still have one of the best quality paints to clear over! Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done this way either... I do it alllll the time & have NEVER had an issue! Again, it's just a suggestion & it's something I can personally say I've done countless times & guarantee it works just fine if applied correctly!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:10 pm
Like everyone has said Omni doesn't cover as well. Dark blue metallic will probably be one of those colors too. It will tiger stripe easily if you're using a light gray primer. I'd try to spray it over a darker gray primer/sealer or even black. Being such a small project you'd probably not have an issue though. Put 3 good coats on and get your flashlight out and turn off the lights. You'll be able to see light spots better that way.

Technically, the Omni has watered-down resins, so that's why it will not cover as well.

And all PPG lines from Deltron up to Envirobase has a variant chip deck.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint