a bit about hbbody 496 clear 2k aerosol

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:28 am
well I know the pros will say forget aerosols, but I know many use them for touch ups in sills etc etc.

I recently did my motorcycle tank on my 1950s motorcycle, and because the rest of the bikw was in 1k acrylic laquer for safety reasons given I was spraying in my backyard with neighbours children nearby. I decided that 1k clear was going to be suboptimal for the tank because its lack of solvent resistance.

so anyway the plan was to let the basecoat thoroughly dry for 4 weeks or so before spraying spraymax 2k clear aerosol with the built in isocyanate hardener (less atomised paint going into the air and cheaper than getting 1 liter of 2k clear.)

well I ditched that idea becuase the spraymax was going to be about $35 for a can

I instead chose hbbody 496 2k clear aerosol for $20 a can - after talking to a paint shop employee who after I read the tds I realised was talking out their ****. it was really quite funny looking back on it...

well this product is marketed as a 2k product. It has no hardener that you dispense into the can so I was skeptical but bowed to the paint shop employees advice.

well I sprayed out 2 coats no wetter than i've sprayed $8 1k laquer clear aerosol abiding slightly longer than usual flash times because it was 15celsius (says 5 mins - sprayable above 10c and I gotta say this stuff is the worst pretend product I've ever had to deal with. it is still disgustingly soft 2 weeks later fingerprints mar it!

so whats my opinion It's a 1k product with what must be a **** load of retarder or slow evap thinners to give it excellent flow out which it does have, which makes it lay down like 2k, but shares none of hte other features (duh right) its only 10% solids whereas spraymax is 35%!

The only good thing about this is, after another week some of my finger prints have flattened out :knockout:

I like trying new things but gotta say this is the worst, wonder if anyone had good results?

I think if you laid on 1 coat you'd get really high gloss glassy finish but nil durability or solveent resistance obviously. I can see people liking this for non critical low visibility areas like door jams and stuff...

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:21 pm
You're joking, right?

You read the Tech Data Sheet[, which clearly states that this stuff is a 2:1 2K clear, then went ahead and sprayed it on, from an aerosol can with just the clear part (and maybe some thinner)?

You realised that the sales jockey was full of it, but went ahead and did what he recommended anyway?

Then you come on here and on the one hand recommend the product while, on the other, ask if anyone else has had experience with it, used this way.

Mate, sorry but you deserve everything you get, including having wasted all the effort that went in to preparing that tank, which will now have to be stripped and done again.

All for the sake of $15. :rolleyes:
Chris

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 pm
haha yeah i'm not worried about the outcome you gotta try new things as a rookie thats how you learn right.. the company does call the aerosol a 2k product as well in their tech data sheets, which is why I went down that path. I mean I was skeptical but I wasnt sure.

I'm not fussed about the outcome, I'm not going to redo the tank anyway, it will eventually dry and I can wet sand and polish it. its my own bike I am not selling it to someone else so i'm not worried, if it needs redoing down the track then I can go from there.

it was just an interesting thing I thought I'd share the experience and I fully appreciate your opinion ahah and you're right it was dumb! but they do say full hardness in 24 hours on the tds so I thought it sounded convincing.

:happy:

In future every paint job I do will be 2k, I'll spray at my property out of town. (its 500km away is the only downer!)

Return to Body and Paint