A couple filler questions

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:20 pm
I've read through most of the "Newbie" threads and have gleaned a lot of great information. A lot of what I've learned has been learning new terminology and processes. Back when I did my last body work, we had Bondo, spot putty and lacquer primer. Things have changed.

Today while reading through some of the basic articles, I came across products called polyester glazing putties. They appear to be a thinner body filler. Any advantages over regular body filler? Disadvantages?

At the risk of starting a major battle. Another question is filler brands. Evercoat? Bondo? Others? Any specific ones to avoid? Preferred brand and type? Evercoat has Rage regular, gold, Ultra, etc... People use specific brands and types because they like the performance or durability. I don't have a lot of bodywork to do, but what I have needs to be done with the best materials. Hence, my questions.

Thanks

On a side note.
3 or 4 Years ago when I rebuilt my boat, I learned that fiberglass boats are not made with epoxy, rather polyester resins. I did use some gelcoat on the project which was a white colored polyester resin. It smelled just like the Bondo of old.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:01 pm
there are a lot of fillers out there and most are good. you'll find that some will spread better than others, some will sand better than others, some will pin hole some not so bad, some get a bonding film on them it plugs your paper some don't. I currently use USC PRO-7 filler, USC Icing 2 part for glazing compound, USC also has a filler thinner. there are other brands that you will here about here probably all good, Evercoat is a quality product. please shy away from you old lacquer days using the 1 part lacquer spot putty it will cause nothing but problems. todays products used properly work great.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:23 am
I guess I am old school and used regular old Bondo. Worked for me in all cases.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:25 am
Bondo will work fine, but there are so many others that
will sand so much easier.
It's come a long way.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 am
boggsy64 wrote:I guess I am old school and used regular old Bondo. Worked for me in all cases.

i'm old school also but it didn't take me long to see that there was better stuff out their, some are just much more user friendly than others.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:45 am
The hardest thing for me personally is "different". If I know what to expect from something it is always a little scary to wonder what the learning curve may be with something "different". I think someone may have had a saying about old dogs and new tricks??? lol

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:52 pm
Rage Ultra. Cut with 80 grit. No need for glaze with this product. Sands very easily. Chase with 440 Express if needed. Been using it for years. 30 Years in the business. Bondo sucks, so does Rage Gold and many other inferior fillers.

Return to Body and Paint