Repair help plz!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:07 pm
Hi everyone,

Im doing my first repair job on my 07 ford f150 xlt on the rear flare bedside, and Im having a problem blending my bondo and primer. I have a line that shows where ive made my repair but all of the areas are smooth and straight. What do I need to do to make them go away?

P.s. Everything Im using is straight from walmart and spray cans. Im not going for a pro job but enough to make it look good until I repaint the truck sapphire blue after I get the truck paid off. Please be easy on me this is my first ever cosmetic repair job and I dont have alot of money to get it fixed from a body shop.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
Attachments
20170716_165840.jpg
1st coat of primer. I only did 1 coat just to see how it will look before paint and obviously you can see the repair lines.
20170716_164849.jpg
After bondo repair
20170709_142851.jpg
What im repairing

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:46 am
You need to sand off the Walmart rattle can job.
Spread your filler well past your repair and be sure to maintain your body lines when sanding.
Go to an Automotive Paint store and have them get you some 2k primer in a spray can.
Spray at least 3 coats of the primer and then block sand it using a guide coat if you really want it right.
The same Auto Paint store can mix you some single stage paint that is the correct color so you can paint your repair area. Keep in mind that silver metallic is one of the hardest paint colors to match correctly.
You will still see your repair unless you are willing to take some more serious steps like blending the color into the surrounding areas and apply clear coat to the entire panel.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:28 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:You need to sand off the Walmart rattle can job.
Spread your filler well past your repair and be sure to maintain your body lines when sanding.
Go to an Automotive Paint store and have them get you some 2k primer in a spray can.
Spray at least 3 coats of the primer and then block sand it using a guide coat if you really want it right.
The same Auto Paint store can mix you some single stage paint that is the correct color so you can paint your repair area. Keep in mind that silver metallic is one of the hardest paint colors to match correctly.
You will still see your repair unless you are willing to take some more serious steps like blending the color into the surrounding areas and apply clear coat to the entire panel.

How would you blend the areas i have sanded already? What steps would you take?

Return to Body and Paint