How rust free does it have to be before Epoxy Primer?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:46 pm
I have a roof panel on vehicle where some genius years ago sanded it close to bare metal and then primed it. It sat like this for a few years. I strip it all off and find layer of surface rust almost a 2 foot square and other spots. Its just barely pitted the metal, but I run the DA on it, use a little naval jelly, more DA, and some very very light sand blasting siphon feed gun. (I know how easy it is to wreck a panel with a good sandblaster) Metal looks pretty good, but there still be some very trace amounts of rust in the very small pin holes of pitting. If I use Nason Epoxy Primer, with this be ok to spray as it is? I check and Nason epoxy primer does have some zinc phosphate as an ingredient. maybe I can post a picture of what it looks like now. I know I'm probably going to get all kinds of opinions on this, but I'm scare to use any acids for prep. First picture are is in the shop. Last picture is out in the sun. Thanks

IMG_20170717_064057986.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20170716_184327114.jpg
Last edited by Mark460 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:38 pm
You will need to upload your photos on this site.
Click "Edit" to reopen your post and then click the "Upload Attachments" tab that will appear below it and you can browse to your file. Once it loads, it will ask you if you want to place it "Inline." Before you say yes make sure you click in the text box where you want the photo to go.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:13 pm
Mark460 wrote:........Metal looks pretty good, but there still be some very trace amounts of rust in the very small pin holes of pitting. If I use Nason Epoxy Primer, with this be ok to spray as it is? I check and Nason epoxy primer does have some zinc phosphate as an ingredient......

I think you'll be OK with the epoxy primer on top of this. You've really done about
all you can with Naval Jelly and sandblasting. There are products such as MetalRescue
and Evaporust that you can try. They are waterbased with a ph of 6, and do a good
job of removing rust. Wet paper towels with the product, place over the rust, and
then place a plastic garbage bag over the towels for a few hours. Then wash with
soap and water.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Return to Body and Paint