Peeling clear coat and painting

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:45 pm
Greetings

I'm in the planning stage of starting bodywork on my car for a much-needed paint job. Researching a lot on the subject and want to paint the car myself with base/clear. Car is a compact and dark red metallic. Presently don't have the required spray equipment, so painting will have to wait. The big issue at the moment is the clear coat on the roof is completely gone and 70% off the hood.

I need to protect the remaining metal and cover exposed old base coat. I don't want rattle cans of primer and topcoat sprayed on top the roof and hood for a quick temporary paint covering, only to sand off later when I paint the whole car. I'm thinking about doing the unthinkable and use a high density roller brush and applying 2K primer or Slick Sand on the roof and hood. The idea is to prep surface well, roll on the primer, dry, then water sand smooth. Then apply a single stage paint same method, let dry, then color sand the inevitable orange peel with 1200 grit.

Really don't care if it's not great and metallic doesn't lay out perfectly. If results are half-shade off and has fairly decent uniform color -- I'll take it. I can live with imperfection, but want the car presentable. I'll repaint whole car with base/clear and spray equipment later. Could this work halfway decent or doomed to fail?
I'll use rattle cans as last resort.

Thanks for any input, tps and advice you can provide.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:03 pm
I hate to be the one to tell you but I think your doomed. your best bet would be to get an electric sander and sand the roof to bare metal. then see your local hardware store for a short napped roller they have some that are about 4" wide and the nap is about an 1/8 - 1/4 in. when you get the roof sanded to bare metal and wiped clean use your roller and roll some epoxy ********** ? over it, the next day roll a second coat. now drive it until you have the proper tools to do a satisfactory job.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 pm
Thanks Jay. Epoxy paint undercoat sounds good, Actually got the paint idea after watching guys on YouTube painting their cars and trucks with Rustoleum and results were very good. Saw one gentleman (jtech87) video showing how to paint using this same foam roller I mentioned. The fender he painted red was amazing. After wet sand and polished, I was very impressed. I thought it could be possible with single stage as well, and being a catalyst paint it would be even faster.

Appreciate the reply and tip, thanks again.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:34 pm
why not just wait till you got the proper stuff ?

sand all the paint off using 150 grits maybe some 80grit
seal with the epoxy and go right to paint ? no need to strip prime sand before paint
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 pm
I wanted to cover the roof and hood now because it looks so bad. It would be many months before I get equipment. I learned.Rustoleum quit making tintable paint; I would use it otherwise. Single stage can match my color. Roller and brush would be ideal.
Actually read about this painter who painted railcars with Dupont Imron eurethane paint with roller and brush. I figured I could do it on a car in a garage with good results as well with the right brush and roller. Less mess, no equipment expense, no over spray and paint waste in the air, no taping and covering everything except adjacent molding, virtually no dust with no compressor disturbing the air, no dust attracted to static electricity, just use a half mask respirator and open the garage door. And apply paint within the flash time. Sand out orange peel. That's my amateur thinking. Would be ideal for just a roof and hood that nobody hardly looks at anyway.

Thanks PainterDave for the input and advice.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 pm
Stralley wrote:.......
Really don't care if it's not great and metallic doesn't lay out perfectly......

Your idea will work except for the paint being metallic. Trying to sand the SS
metallic out smooth will dull the metallic particles and you will never get it
to look right no matter how much polishing.

In the boat painting industry, that technique is called "roll and tipping", and is
done all the time with non-metallic paints.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 pm
Very interesting info NightTrain. I'm good with a brush and roller. I can accept non-metallic for a roof and hood. Thanks for the good info.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 pm
Why not just take the easy way out for now.... smooth it up and vinyl wrap these sections? It will protect the underlying metal and you'll just peel it back off when you are ready. There is a learning curve with using the stuff but if you've got a helper it can be done. Look on Youtube and watch some guys doing it. Maybe try wrapping some small stuff first and give it a go.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 pm
Thanks Darrel, I'll check it out and take look.

Return to Body and Paint