Color selection

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:02 pm
So with lots of help from the guys on this site I am getting close to my first round of actual color.
Interior and inside of panels are epoxy primed, exterior body panels were epoxied, primed with high build and blocked (with guide coat), then sprayed with another coat of epoxy. Planning to scuff/sand inside of cab and panels then spray color. Once assembled (next year) exterior will get a final wet sand then color (all bc/cc).
My teenage sons who are working on this with me were thinking yellow but I am told from our local supplier that their yellow requires a seperate base coat before the yellow. Their base is a light grey very close to the epoxy color. Is this extra step really necessary if my epoxy is that close in color to their base? I don't really want the extra step for my first project and am thinking of having them pick another color.
Could I simply skip their grey and go straight to yellow?
Thanks in advance

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:12 pm
only use light gray if the yellow is a metallic,

use white if it is a pearl or solid

no dont skip this step
you need uniform base color for yellow plus sealer will help with adhesion.

what is the paint code ill tell you what color to use
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:04 pm
Thanks Dave...don't have a paint code as I haven't purchased anything yet, was just looking at colors with my sons the other day.
No metallics, whatever we go with will be a solid color. Figured as everything will have a final prime with the same epoxy (light grey) that might be uniform enough of a base? I will likely go with something simpler just to avoid that extra step.
As for sealer....hadn't planned on it but definitely learning here and open to suggestions. I had gone with an epoxy over the final build primer as it may sit for up to a year before the final paint. Hoped to go with a final wet sand (500 as per specs on the epoxy) and then straight to base....is this asking for problems down the road?

Thanks

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 pm
If you are going to do yellow use white epoxy as a sealer and then go right to your yellow base. Yellow over any shade of gray usually gives it a dirty greenish ugly. Look.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:03 am
northern boy wrote: I had gone with an epoxy over the final build primer as it may sit for up to a year before the final paint.

Thanks

Since you already epoxied it, you can also use a white dedicated urethane sealer. You do not have to use white epoxy as a sealer; but you can if you feel compelled to do so.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:57 am
you could also just shoot a coat of white base, just enough to cover then start your yellow. I did this with a CBR 600 I had it really makes the yellow bright, but I already had the white from another job.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 pm
badsix wrote:you could also just shoot a coat of white base, just enough to cover then start your yellow. I did this with a CBR 600 I had it really makes the yellow bright, but I already had the white from another job.
Jay D.

Not cost effective because base is more expensive than sealer. You only shot a bike and had some base "hanging around". The OP has a lot more real estate to shoot.

Return to Body and Paint