Help with paint wrinkling

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:30 am
My recent project was the first for me and as a newbie I had an entire list of different issues with anything I tried to do...primer, sealer, base, you name it.
I can tell you nothing about the compatibility of paints and reducers, I am not a chemist. The one thing I can say, absolutely with no doubt, is that I did not have my gun setup right until the very end. After getting it right, the painting was a lot less scary, and more successful! (see video on youtube from OHW Paint called "spray gun setup")
All the advice from people here kept me going and kept me from throwing in the towel.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:03 pm
badsix wrote:Base Maker for Chroma Base is clear or has a very very slight cloudiness to it, I've used gallons of it. years ago the paint rep was down at my jobber, Chroma Base was just starting to come on here. anyway the rep said you must use only Base Maker with Chroma Base, I've never tried it any other way.
Jay D.

i spray chromabase with my PPG urethane reducer... never had problems lol
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:48 pm
Repainted hood today using basemaker reducer to reduce paint this time. I definitely don't think my issues had anything to do with reducer. The chroma base paint just seems harder to work with. Twice I went a little heavier and paint would spiderweb or start to lift. I just wet sanded those areas and put down another light coat. Unfortunately, I damaged the clear when removing the masking. A piece of tape caught on the lip of hood and too off a little patch of clear, the size of a thumb print. I am going to try and wet sand the small area and put a little clear on it and maybe use a blender or some reducer mixed with clear. Let me know if that will work. The sheet says you can scuff and reclear after 24 hours.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:57 pm
If you scuff or sand where the clear had lifted off you will be sanding the basecoat, that will require you to respray more base color, or you will see the sanding / scuffing in your final product.

For me, Chromabase is extremely easy to deal with. You state that you use Nason primer, but I don't recall you stating what specific primer you are using. How about giving us part numbers as well as what reducers and hardeners you're using at each step.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:31 pm
I wet sanded with 1000 and used my detail gun to touch up the affected areas and all good now. Not my best work but functional for 2007 Corolla. Thanks for all the help.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint