What primer to use with factory chevy water borne enamel?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm
Here's the code card for my car, it's an '85 Camaro. Unfortunately, it seems to be one of the only years that they used some sort of water based enamel on the car. It has some rust spots that I really need to get cleaned up, but I'm not sure what primer I can use on it?

I plan on grinding/sanding/blasting the rust down to bare metal, and feathering in the edges, then priming and doing another enamel top coat over the whole panel. I just can't seem to find, for the life of me, what primer I should be using for this. The budget it pretty minimal, I just want to get the rust tackled before the winter hits. I'm also interested in what I should be looking for in an enamel paint to shoot some more color on there.

Any and all help appreciated!

Settled In
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:45 am
Hmm I've never got involved with water enamel, if it was me I'd be spraying an isolator over the area when repared and go over with a 2K primer and colour.

They're are good waterbased primers and colours on the market. If you want to play it safe, head to your local jobber and ask for waterbased primer but check you can still get waterbased enamel, it's quite hard to get now.

Sorry i couldn't be more helpful keep me updated how you get on.

Jordan
Check out my Refinishing channel below!
http://www.youtube.com/c/repairrefinishtv

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:15 pm
My apologies, I'm quite the noob here. Does 2k not require a clear? I would honestly prefer an enamel, as the car is currently enamel, so color matching and caring for that on a spot treatment basis seems to be the most affordable solution at the moment.

Is there an isolator you could recommend though? Do they work on bare metal? The best solution I've been able to find is to shoot an acid etch primer over the metal and feathered enamel, and then a thin coat of bondo, and some color matched rustoleum for the paint. I know this is terribly low-rent, but would it be functional? I really only have a couple hundred to put in on this, as I don't want to change the color or anything at the moment, just prevent further rust issues.

Return to Body and Paint