Windshield Rust

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:38 am
I was hoping to get some of you guys to review my repair plan for this to make sure I haven't missed anything. This is my first time doing anything like this by myself. I've searched for windshield rust on this forum and came up with basically nothing so hopefully, this isn't too much of a repost.

As you can see from the pic, I have a bit of rust starting at the top of my windshield. It's not that bad yet and I figured if I'm going to fix it, it should be soon. I'm staying away from aerosol, I have a cheap touch up HVLP spray gun and I'm going to rent a suitable compressor. My plan is as follows.

1) Have windshield professionally removed
2) Wash repair area with dawn dish soap
3) Wipe area down with solvent soaked towel and dry with dry towel
4) Mask windshield area with a piece of cardboard to protect interior
5) Grind rust with die grinder (40 grit) until it is gone
6) Smooth/feather 40 grit scratches with 80 grit (probably by hand?)
7) Spray all bare metal with epoxy primer
8) Fill pinholes with premium body filler
9) Sand filler with 240, then 400 (again, probably by hand? because I'm thinking it might be difficult to get into the windshield channel with a DA)
10) Use glazing putty if necessary, and sand with 400
11) Spray repair area with high-build primer
12) Sand with 400 until smooth

.... And this is where I need some advice. I was hoping I could blend in between the windshield and the sunroof. If anyone has any ideas/tips on how to do this that would be awesome. I'm going to tackle this project next weekend.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:18 am
the first thing I like to do after the glass is out use a wire wheel, I usually use a cup wheel on a 4' grinder to quickly remove all the glue and sealant from the window opening. this will usually remove most of the paint also. now you can assess the damage and go from their.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 pm
You can scratch my first post for some reason I was thinking you were doing a complete repaint, sorry. so after rereading your post again your outline looks doable, you won't really know until the glass is out. be carful grinding rust spots that metal isn't vary thick. what color is it, looks like white or maybe silver.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 am
gregrock89 wrote:I5) Grind rust with die grinder (40 grit) until it is gone

The bubbles you see is just where the rust has spread to, it could be worse under the rubber window seal. So there could be some deep rust pits and if you try to grind the rust away you have to grind the metal away also, down to the bottom of the rust pits.

I would get a spot blaster and blast the rust away, right down to the bottom of the rust pits.

Return to Body and Paint