First Repair Project: Seeking Supplier Advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:44 am
Hey folks,

First, I'll say thanks to all who take their time offering guidance here. I have already learned quite a bit.

Doing my first bigger DIY project on a 2000 4Runner. I am replacing a radiator support panel, one of the frame brackets that supports it, and one fender.

My first question is about suppliers in my area. I am in a small town in Alabama, where I believe NAPA supplies the smaller shops here. I am thinking that it would be better to go to Huntsville, where there is a Finishmaster and a Sherwin-Williams. My thought is to buy most everything from them, so that I am sure to get the best service and all compatible products.

Do you guys have thoughts about this from a perspective of the product lines they offer, color-matching capabilities, dealing with DIYers, etc? I know the level of service depends more on the person behind the counter.

Is there an alternative, say ordering from ********** or other? Then, how do I get color mixing, if I go that route?

I'll probably get into questions about my proposed process in another thread, to keep it simple.

Thanks everyone.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:20 am
I am no expert on product lines, but... I am lucky enough to have a small local autobody supply shop where I live. I go in, ask questions, get sticker shock sometimes, but am always given sound advice and solid products. It is a mom and pop shop where their daughter has taken up the family business and she knows her stuff. Very helpful.
If you can find a good paint shop, you'll be golden.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:01 am
bakerjw wrote:If you can find a good paint shop, you'll be golden.

Thanks very much bakerjw. Yep, I plan to make a run into town soon to talk to a couple of shops. That will likely be the deciding factor, unless someone here chimes in with other advice.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:48 pm
You can order paints mixed to the code of your choice online. Just be sure to order a quality line of paint and not the bottom priced bargain basement lines.

The problem with this comes if you are not repainting the whole car and hope to blend in some panels, the color will not match because your old paint has faded or might have been over reduced when applied.

I order 95% of my paint online. It is only when I need to blend a panel that I go to the local jobber and pay their high prices.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:44 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:You can order paints mixed to the code of your choice online. Just be sure to order a quality line of paint and not the bottom priced bargain basement lines.

The problem with this comes if you are not repainting the whole car and hope to blend in some panels, the color will not match because your old paint has faded or might have been over reduced when applied.

I order 95% of my paint online. It is only when I need to blend a panel that I go to the local jobber and pay their high prices.

Thanks '68.
So, the jobber can measure using a spectrophotometer and mix a more accurate color, correct?

Honestly, for this project, I am not looking for perfection. I am focusing more on the integrity of the repair this go-round and down the road will do a complete re-paint; maybe even a color change.

I'll do some searching and research, but I would certainly welcome suggestions for online vendors that have good reputations.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:09 pm
With the local jobber you can have it mixed and if it isn't right, take it back and they can try to adjust it for you.

If you think you are going to need more of the same custom mixed color later on, be sure to tell them to write the mix down. A lot of them don't and then you have to pay them to match it all over again.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:23 pm
********** are high quality products, but dont offer color matching- they only have a few colors available.

as for online vendors , why not start right here at autobody101 store?
https://www.autobody101.com/store/paint-base-coats/

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 am
Thanks tomsteve, that was what I gathered from **********'s website FAQ, but wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming.

I had no idea about the autobody101 store though. Thanks for that and I will check it out.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 pm
One of My local napa sells PPG products and the other sells DuPont, talk to your local napa and see what brand they carry. Most of the time they can have a certain brand delivered at no extra cost.
-Lukey-

Return to Body and Paint