Metallic Paint In A Spray Can

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:09 pm
I'm doing two spot repairs on my 2002 Suburban with Pewter metallic paint (GM code 11) on the rear rocker panels just behind the rear wheels. I have tried two different brands of spray can paint. I have had difficulty with both paints. I get areas where there appears to be more metallic particles which results in a splotchy, shiny appearance.

Is there something wrong with my spraying technique or is it just difficult to spray metallic paint with a spray can? (I work very hard to maintain the recommended spacing between the car and the truck body while spraying) Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 pm
sorry but your doomed, shaker cans just won't work for touch up work, especially that color. maybe you might get it close for someone that's near color blind.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 am
I went back a repainted the quarter panels and made several changes in my technique which greatly improved the results:

1. I sprayed lighter coats, a total of three light coats.
2. I shook the can for a long time before and often while painting. At one time I was giving it a couple of shakes before every paint stroke. I figured that action kept the metallic particles suspended in the paint and didn't let them settle at the bottom of the can where the take-up tube was located.
3. If I missed an area on the paint stroke, I didn't go back and hit that spot. I counted on the next coat catching that area.

I initially used the clear coat recommended by the base coat manufacturer. That clear coat was a lacquer based clear coat and was not resistant to fuels and solvents. The second time I used a 2K clear coat with very good results.

One other thing I picked up on is the pot life of the two part 2K clear coat. The can said the pot life was 24 hours. However, upon visiting the manufacturer's web site, I found out that the 24 hour figure was referenced to 60 deg F. If you stored the clear coat in your refrigerator at 44 deg F, the pot life was extended to 5 days. I was able to paint a second time and use all of the clear coat in the can.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:56 am
so how does it look ? it sounds like you've got the application down good, or as good as can be. that's an old trick with acrylic enamel if it had hardener in it, you could refrigerate it and possibly use it the next day.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:40 pm
The right side, which was done last, looks pretty good. Metallic is just difficult to get looking good. I've still got a shopping cart crease to repair. It's up higher where it is really visible and I want to do a spot repair. It's a big panel to paint otherwise. The place where I get my paint will mix up paint that they supply to regular body shops and put it in an aerosol can for me. I'll try that in a few weeks.

The label on the 2K clear coat did not mention the extended pot life if stored in a refrigerator, but their web site did.

Return to Body and Paint