poor coverage found after clear

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:33 am
As a beginner, every time I paint I learn more and more. Attention to detail was drilled into me in the military but I find I am having to relearn that concept over and over with this hobby. Anyway, I am restoring a 67 Mustang convertible for a friend. Everything is going very well with this one exception. I hung the doors from the overhead in my lean-to for paint and clear out of convenience. However with the poor lighting I completely missed the top of the doors with base but didn't realize it until after I had already applied several coats of clear. My question is can I scuff the clear and just apply base over it (if so what grit to sand the clear?)? Or do I have to sand the clear (scuff), and apply primer sealer before the base coat? If the poor coverage were anywhere else, I'd think about letting it alone. However this is right where you'd put your arm if you were riding down the road with the windows down. Both sides by the way UGH!
Thanks an advance,
Rick

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:14 am
you'll be ok sanding what ya have and spraying BC without using sealer.
on what grit to use, i use 800 wet, but it would be wise to read up on the brand of clear you have and find out what they recommend.
id also suggest respraying the whole door with base, if ya havent decided on that yet.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:50 am
:goodpost: so what color are we using? you'll at least want to clear the complete door.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:10 pm
It's a dark green metallic (67 ford dark moss green). Being a novice, I certainly would not entertain trying to blend. I am planning on scuffing and re-base followed by clear on the entire door. I have enough base and clear left over so no additional cost will be incurred. Just more work on my part.

Thanks for the replies.

Rick

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:08 pm
Shoot 1 or 2 coats on the uncovered portion first to get it close to the color of the rest of the door and then go for the entire door.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:26 pm
If it were me , I would make sure you don't break through the clearcoat . Other wise the solvent base will picked up. Don't apply to wet medium coat not heavy coat. It being a dark colour I would apply a couple of coats along the top of door then clear coat the door. Applying base on the whole door could darken it to the adjacent panels in the sun light
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Return to Body and Paint