New Paint cracking and blistering

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:09 pm
So I've been trying to get this car done and the paint keeps cracking/blistering in some areas and I cannot find the cause as it goes on smooth everywhere else only way I've found to resolve this is by redoing the whole panel.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:02 pm
Okay, we need a lot more info. on what you are doing.....start with some pictures of the problem......next fill us in on your prep. process..... then, what paint system you are using base/clear, single stage urethane, enamel, whatever and brand.....next gun info. settings..... environment you are working in, ie. home garage, pro shop, etc....... More info=better advice......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:28 pm
I'm posting this for someone I'll get more info tommorrow it's a cheap $50 gun but no issues thus far here are pictures. So basically whole car went good except these parts so it was resanded then reprimed and still the issue so then took the whole door down to base paint/metal reprimed and the door turned out good except this part. The the hood small spot burned through during polish so again resanded with 320 reprimed and same effect.
Attachments
20170809_132706.jpg
20170809_133219.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:03 am
"the the hood small spot burned through during polish so again resanded with 320 reprimed and same effect."

was the area washed off with wax and grease remover before sanding?
was the area, and even the whole vehicle, properly washed and prepped before starting any work?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:02 pm
You've got a combination of uncured top (clear) coat, with a heavy base coat application attacking your topcoat. Add in that you have an open edge where you went through the clear to the base.

Light coats (like very light almost dry, with a cool or fast reducer) and extended flash times between basecoats are the trick to get past this.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:38 am
We ended up taking it all down on those panels and redoing it completely. Thank you though after watching a youtube video later on we figured it out. What you said is the exact method mentioned in the video doing a dry coat of epoxy primer to seal it in.

Return to Body and Paint