Auto Body - oil canning

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:54 pm
Hello, I have a question and hope someone can help..
I had a small but deep dent on my RR hood and hammer it out, then used some heat to shrink the metal to get the oil canning out. used a propane torch, just waited till the metal got blue not red, then lightly hammered and then cooled. the dent and hood were coming out real nice. there was a small area that was a little high and hit it with the propane torch again and what happened then was part of the hood in area i was working concaved. "metal flexed the opposite way and stayed there". I can still flex it out by pushing it, but it immediately flexes back.

So my question is, do i need somw additional shrinking or did i shrink it too much? I'm not going to work on it again until I fiqure out what happened.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:02 pm
There is an excellent Sticky Post that covers all of this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18781

Are you using a shrinking hammer and dolly?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:14 am
I'm not using a shrinking hammer, just a flat toe dolly, regular body hammer and a torch.
I haven't heated the metal to red, just blue. i got the dent out, but caused the oil canning.

first picture is of the bottom of the hood, the line running horizontally was the dented area, dark areas are the torch marks. hit it with the torch 4 times across the dent after tapping most of the dent out.

http://www.terracreature.com/graphics/bottom_hood2.jpg

Second picture is the top were i last applied heat that caused the hood to oil can. red where i applied heat and green circle is the area affected (the metal is now flexed the opposite way

http://www.terracreature.com/graphics/top_hood2.jpg

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:07 am
It is very difficult to diagnose the problem with a oil can without a good examination. You need to read the link under oil can in the sticky mentioned above.

My first thought is to stretch the red spot in your picture. Remember, now its all about stretching not shrinking, and any area not touched before, should not be touched now. But a propane torch has a flame much too broad for shrinking. You could have controlled the shrink with a stud gun.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:17 am
thanks so much for the reply!
I have a heavy spoon similar to the one in the sticky.

I'm going to try to stretch the area you mention very slowly, I have access to the under side of the hood. Would it be better start on the top or under side of the hood. when I applied heat it was to the top of the hood.

chevman wrote:It is very difficult to diagnose the problem with a oil can without a good examination. You need to read the link under oil can in the sticky mentioned above.

My first thought is to stretch the red spot in your picture. Remember, now its all about stretching not shrinking, and any area not touched before, should not be touched now. But a propane torch has a flame much too broad for shrinking. You could have controlled the shrink with a stud gun.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:56 am
There is a section in that sticky about stretching, I think it will answer your questions.

Return to Body and Paint