Reducer removal on primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:30 am
OK, first off I'd like to give some of my background in painting. Yes I'm an amateur but a 17 year one. I've done 4 total repaints, about 7-8 smaller panel projects and every summer I at least break out the guns and an old fender to play on. I've done flames, water effects and marbling and some airbrushing. Using mostly base coat clear coat finishes and single stage too coats from PPG, Sherwin, Top Line and now the Nason line.

Now my current project is a total repaint on my sons Jeep and he's helping. We laid the 2K primer with no issues. Wanted to lay a pinstripe under the top coat and sprayed the body line where it was going to be. The issue was the reducer for it was the wrong one, my mistake it was right next to the correct one. Easy enough fix should have been to let it dry, sand it off, re prime, reseal and start again. 48 hours later that stripe is still not cured. Sanding resulted in clogged pads and gouges in the under primer. The idea of removing the stripe coat with reducer came to mind and worked great. But now I'm worried of paint lift, solvent bleed through it or adhesion for the top coat because of the reducer residue left behind. Grease and wax remover doesn't seem to be working or at least well, dish soap and water about the same. At this point I think a total scuff and re prime is necessary but will that be enough? Will a fresh coat of primer and sealer actually cover and conceal the mishap and let the top coat adhere at all? Will just a fresh reseal of the primer be enough alone?

Any help in this would be great!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 am
im a little confused on what youre doing but it sounds like you did not harden correctly.

is the reducer you used urethane reducer ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 am
Yes, it was a hardener issue. Picked up the top coat at one location as Fast-Dry acrylic enamel single stage (hardener built it) and the other location as Fast-Cryl (hardener needed). Well the paint is no gone off the primer by elbow work and reducer from another job. But what remains is a film that resembles a stain on the primer (dark and light patches where the reducer was used more or less of certain spots). Either there is a way to remove the staining film or I should just play safe and scuff and re prime. Opinion?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 am
If you've already washed off the gummed up paint, and all that you have left is a small amount of the paint residue mixed with (evaporated) reducer, you can either continue to wash/ wipe with reducer until fairly clean followed by a light sanding, then continue as normal or simply sand whatever residue is still there.

If the paint is still there, and you're concerned about residue or lifting, all that you can do is try it, you really need to get the non drying paint off before continuing. So I would suggest continue washing with reducer and see what happens, try not to really soak it, then continue as above. If it lifts, stop, allow to dry, then sand back your primer & reprime those spots. Unless you really soak it with a "hot" reducer, you shouldn't lift cured catalysed primer.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:04 am
Yes sand it. Reprime if needed

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:38 am
:goodpost: :goodpost: above. I would sand and recoat that area with your primer. you say you used a sealer is it coming off also? i'm also wondering why your using A/C and not B/C. base coat is much easier to work with in your situation were you have 2 or more colors.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:42 am
Jay is correct. price maybe ?

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 am
Well I did get all the uncured paint off with reducer. Primer was left undamaged but I did have to go aggressive with it and had some what looks like staining issues where the reducer did leave the primer darker than the other areas not touched. Sanded back the whole car to keep everything level and then cleaned with a paint prep and it looks like its all gone now. Tonight I will reprime and start the color coats. Yes we decided to do single stage top coat for cost and speed in application, to bad the speedy part got tossed out the window.....

Return to Body and Paint