Frist timer wanting to paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:45 pm
I bit off alot here. Every one is telling its not worth painting my truck. Its a 99 light pewter metallic. All i need to paint is the hood roof and the side rails a bit. The clear coat peels off that's why it needs to get painted. I want a good paint not cheap. I have painted alot with rattle cans just not spray gun. Also do you think i can get by with a smaller spray gun if i take my time? open to any advice. Also i did a repair on my other truck using spray cans and 2k clear coat it came out very good it was just the panel looked better than the other ones becuase it was new. Thinking of sanding this down town to primer then a coat of primer then color then about 3 coats of clear Am i heading in the right direction? :neutral:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:12 pm
if your thinking rattle cans then NO if your thinking a spray gun then probably NO. i'm all for DIY'ers that's one of my main services, if you want to paint it your self I will come to your place and guide you along. I will set you up for the first faze and let you go to work. when your done and I ok it i'll set you up with faze two and so on until its time to spray paint. i'll help you set up the gun and then help you get the paint on usually some test panels first, then its up to you. I work with you until the job is done. I charge anywhere from 0-500 for the service and I don't deal with cheep products. if were going to do the job we will do it right. back to your project, if you don't have a GOOD air compressor, a good hi volume spray gun and the other tools to do this job you would be much better off talking to Maco or one of theses places and have them do it. if you feel that you really want to do it your self and do it the right way then people on here will help you. but not with rattle cans.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:43 pm
For sure no rattle cans i am trying to secure a paint booth to do this. As for macco i dislike there work they sprayed a friends car it was awful

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:41 am
You need to spend some time reading the information already on this site. At the top left there is a button called "Info Center" and it contains articles, videos, tips, etc.

Also, at the top of each individual Forum there are Sticky Posts covering specifics on How To perform particular tasks.

Start here: http://www.autobody101.com/content/arti ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 am
You may want to first watch a video called "Body Shop Basics by Paintucation" to get an idea of the tools, materials, and process that is involved. If you are plan to do this one vehicle, it will be cheaper and quicker to just take it to a professional shop. If this is something you think you would like to do as a hobby or career then by all means dig in and start learning the skills.

Also as mentioned above, check out the link at the top of this page called "Info Center" and read, read, read. There is a ton of information on the correct processes for the auto restoration process. Another great source on how to is PPG's Restoration Guide. You can download it for free and it explains PPG's recommended process which is what most would consider an industry standard. Here it is: http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/ ... tion-Guide

Return to Body and Paint