fix current rear quater or weld in a brand new one?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:17 am
i didn't notice at first as it was covered with up with bog I cleaned the rear quater up to find it's been hit hard several times causing the sheet to split and the surface is like the moon

this is really holding me back? should I just buy a brand new rear quater it will cost me $900 to buy a brand new quarter delivered
here is a picture https://ibb.co/hik1Ya

2nd option is to fix the current rear quater which here it is
https://ibb.co/cg9BYa
https://ibb.co/ipqqRv

as you can see it's pretty bad money is not really a factor but I know it's going to add up real quick to put in a new rear quater

I'm guessing a new quater
$900 for the quater aleast 1k for the current quater cut out and welded back in probably more towards 2k anyone have better knowledge? as fixing the quater would what cost max $500 but it's pretty bad

I'm sick of this it's holding me back im only a young bloke i give everything a go but this I want professionally done but I'm stuck on what to do.

thank you!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:48 am
What is the value of the car to you? It is easy to spend more fixing them than they are worth but if there is real or sentimental value involved to justify the price of the repair that changes things.

Any chance you can find a good used quarter panel?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:53 am
It looks like it needs 3-4 hours worth of hammering, and planishing to get it down to a thin coat of bodyfiller. That's if you are practiced with doing it. But the rust out will need more work. Is your time, or money, more valuable to you? If you do fix it, be sure to treat the backside with a suitable rust remover/preventative to keep the rust from spreading.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:37 am
It looks like the damage is from the wheel opening back. as said above check local wrecking yards all you need is from the wheel opening back. that's a fairly easy fix if you know what your doing, I've done that many times. even replacing the complete quarter is not that hard its more intimidating than anything.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:31 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:What is the value of the car to you? It is easy to spend more fixing them than they are worth but if there is real or sentimental value involved to justify the price of the repair that changes things.

Any chance you can find a good used quarter panel?

thanks for your reply mate.

bit more info this car has no sentimental value I got it for cheap as chips you can see why it's a toyota supra with a 6 speed I picked it up dirt cheap

so in a way even if I spend 10k on this car all up it's still way cheaper then buying one and I've got mine back to A1 condition as I'm buying all brand new runners all round quater windows etc it's going to be a clean car man!

that being said I don't want to start spending crazy money or it becomes not worth it but I do want this done properaly.

so by the seems of it my problem is only the inner sheeting so I can cut one out of another supra and fit it into mine? there's a bloke locally he has like 30 odd supras laying around, he's already told me $600 for a whole rear quater if I only need the inside sheeting I might be able to do some of the work myself. I'm just so over It the shell is sitting in metal I need to get it done

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:34 pm
chopolds wrote:It looks like it needs 3-4 hours worth of hammering, and planishing to get it down to a thin coat of bodyfiller. That's if you are practiced with doing it. But the rust out will need more work. Is your time, or money, more valuable to you? If you do fix it, be sure to treat the backside with a suitable rust remover/preventative to keep the rust from spreading.

hard question mate, put it this way id rather pay someone to do it because I don't really know what I'm doing, I mean I could cut out the old one I'm going to try getting a dolly and knocking the dints out etc I'll give that a go but I'm just over this and want it done.

thanks for the tips mate appreciate it

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:37 pm
badsix wrote:It looks like the damage is from the wheel opening back. as said above check local wrecking yards all you need is from the wheel opening back. that's a fairly easy fix if you know what your doing, I've done that many times. even replacing the complete quarter is not that hard its more intimidating than anything.
Jay D.

maybe I'm over thinking it way to much? if I cut the inner sheeting out that will give me alot eaiser access to the (Inside) of the outside sheet so I can probably fix most this up myself if I cut the inside sheet out, panel beat spend a day practicing on the rear quater

so the rear quater has 2 layers put together so the outside sheeting will be fine to reuse/fix it up? so I just want to cut out the inner sheeting and replace that? this could work out alot cheaper then I thought if I can just do that. got a local guy with supras I could go cut one out I'm hoping for $200 maybe

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:47 am
hard question mate, put it this way id rather pay someone to do it because I don't really know what I'm doing, I mean I could cut out the old one I'm going to try getting a dolly and knocking the dints out etc I'll give that a go but I'm just over this and want it done.

thanks for the tips mate appreciate it[/quote]

If you're not real good at this type of work, you'll probably make a mess out of it, and waste a lot of time doing it. If you have to pay someone to do it, it'll probably be a lot of money.
You're kind of in a bad spot with this one. Might be worth it just to mud it all back up and either drive the wheels off of it, or get rid of it. You didn't want to hear that, but....

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:32 pm
chopolds wrote:hard question mate, put it this way id rather pay someone to do it because I don't really know what I'm doing, I mean I could cut out the old one I'm going to try getting a dolly and knocking the dints out etc I'll give that a go but I'm just over this and want it done.

thanks for the tips mate appreciate it

If you're not real good at this type of work, you'll probably make a mess out of it, and waste a lot of time doing it. If you have to pay someone to do it, it'll probably be a lot of money.
You're kind of in a bad spot with this one. Might be worth it just to mud it all back up and either drive the wheels off of it, or get rid of it. You didn't want to hear that, but....[/quote]

after having a futher look the inside wall is not to bad like its only the very edge which has came apart i dont think the whole rear quater needs to be touch at all.

Just the edge welded up properly and I'll have the fix the surface of the rear quater i guess with stud gun something to pull it out as I can't get behind it unless I cut the inside sheet out like i was gona do, but stuff that.

I got told after i pull the dints out it weakens the metal of course when your change it's shape so I got told to ARK the quater with a welder and what that does it strengthen the metal back up in the shape it's in. Is this true?

I'll post some pictures and videos of closer up of the quater.

Here is a video : https://vimeo.com/232400839

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:44 pm
looks like you were moving the camera to fast the auto focus couldn't keep. up try and get some good stills it will sure help people here to help you. the arc welder trick is new to me but there are a lot of things new to me.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint