fix current rear quater or weld in a brand new one?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 pm
badsix wrote:looks like you were moving the camera to fast the auto focus couldn't keep. up try and get some good stills it will sure help people here to help you. the arc welder trick is new to me but there are a lot of things new to me.
Jay D.

Sorry mate was night time I'll get some better footage.

I contacted a guy local he has about 30+ supras does them up and resells them he put me onto his panel beater I just rang him & had a chat.

Shown him the video etc he said it looks fine he can fix it supras are his second nature now, he said worse case worse maybe cut out a tiny bit of the inside wall (the bits the stuffed) and replace with a new bit of sheet that's worse case, he agreed with me absolutely no need to go cutting out the entire Inside wall/rear quater just a waste of money. He said he get it straight weld it up panel beat the outter surface pull it out straighten it up put a small skim coat over it etc, rust proof etc he seems to know what he's doing this panel beater.

He's quoted me 50 AUD an hour said will take a good couple hours sounds like absoulte max $500 more like $250-300 I'm expecting, so that seems pretty bloody fair to me, ALOT better then I thought i was expecting $500 easy.

I'll get some better footage tonight I think I'm going to hire a car trailer and go get it done, I'll post some more footage and ant advice on the situation would be awesome the more knowledge the better less chance of me getting stiched up by some panel beater.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:34 pm
well at least you got one good reference and the price sound good. how much is 50 AUD in us money? be sure and let us know how you come out with this.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:45 am
I think the Arc welder bit is like spot shrinking with a spot welder, or MIG.
Excessive hammering, especially if inexperienced, can produce stretched areas that will flex, or "oil can". And spot shrinking will help that. But you need to be able to know where you have a stretched area, and where to put your shrinking spots. This also comes from experience, though if you are using lots of filler, it doesn't matter much.
Sounds like bringing it to your friend is a good idea. Experience makes the work go much faster.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint