bodywork before primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:33 am
Greetings..

I am prepping my car for primer..
Presently it has acrylic lacquer on it..
I am presently sanding it with a da sander using 80 grit paper.
Then I'm not sure what to do.. (if what I am doing is ok to this point)
Should I now apply a filler primer and sand with a fine paper?
Or should I spray epoxy primer and sand it with a fine paper?

This is my first post on this site.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:43 pm
What are you trying to accomplish?
Is it a modern car that you just want to change it's color?
Is it a classic car you are wanting to restore?
A little more information is needed on what you are trying to accomplish and some pictures will get you more detailed answers?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:39 am
Biggest questions: What are you going to paint the car with? Is there a lot of bodywork on it? How nice a paint job are you shooting for?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:23 pm
Hello All..

Let me try to answer your questions.

The car I am trying to prime is my 1969 Corvette... I bought it new in late 1968.

So.. I want a very good paint job....but I don't have the money to turn the car over to a paint and body shop.

The car needs very little if any bodywork.

I plan on spraying the primer myself with epoxy primer...

So.. my questions are...

Is it necessary to remove all of the car's paint down to the fiberglass?

Should I apply a filler primer and light sand prior to applying the epoxy primer?

Or should I just apply the epoxy primer?

Thanks for your help.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:14 am
If you want a good paint job, I would strip it to the 'glass. I don 't like excessive paint thickness if trying to do a good paint job.
The only reason to use a filler primer, is to help with perfecting the surfaces. I.E. if there is bodywork, or perhaps rust pits, or extremely slight waves. You can use it just on areas that need it, it's NOT necessary to shoot the whole car, if just one panel has bodywork.
My plan for you would be to strip it, do your bodywork, epoxy it, spot apply filler primer on areas needed. Block out those areas, and reapply epoxy to wherever necessary.
Just a warning, though...most painters do not like putting nice paint over someone else's work.. You may have problems finding a guy who will do it.
Oh, and BTW, have you checked the bonding strip areas of your car, they usually aren't very straight on many year Vettes. If you want nice paint, go over them and get them straight.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:26 am
80 grit is ok for steel but can be aggressive on fiberglass. your going to want to be carful sanding that you don't sand through the outer skin of the fiberglass body. also if you want it to look good you'll need to get real friendly with a sanding block, most of those weren't very flat. check around the head light openings, fender wells, hood openings for cracks, I don't think I've ever seen one that didn't have a few.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint